Question Image Retention in some games ?

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I'm assuming it's GPU, possibly my firmware crossflash but work with me first.

Certain games, none specific, will randomly create what I can best describe as image retention from the last few frames ago in the form of a shadow over the game running otherwise normally and disappears after maybe 2.5 secs. I notice it with Ghosts of Tsushima especially.

It's not driver related, I've reinstalled those. It could be the firmware as mentioned above but I would expect it in more games and especially more graphically demanding onces if it was acting up. It could be the game engine the games have in common but I don't think that's even consistent enough.

I've tried to capture the phenomenon but I always miss it or it doesn't happen at all.

Thoughts? (Flashing back I know would be a sure way to rule that out but I hate flashing bios for anything).

CPU: i7-13700K (Overclocked)
Cooler: Corsair H150 Elite Caprellix 360mm
RAM: DDR4 G-Skill 4000Mhz (4x16GB, Gear1)
MB: MSI Edge z690 DDR4 WiFi
GPU: MSI Gaming Trio 4090 (Custom SuprimX vBIOS)
PSU: MSI MPG A1000G PCIE5

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
You sure its the gpu? tested on more than one monitor? tried different cables?

Not sure GPU can do it. Monitors can though.
What monitor are you using?
I'd suspect monitor too.

Interesting you both suggested it. I ruled out monitor because I didn't think it could 1) Do that 2) Only certain games cause it to happen.

This isn't meant as an insult just clarification. They way I described it wasn't the best and want to make sure we're thinking the same thing. Basically it's a black transparent overlay of a few frames ago "soft burned" for about 2.5 sec
(that's actually how I should have posted originally).

That said I'll have to look into that possibility.
The monitor is a MSI Optix MPG321UR-QD

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Welp, that solves that mystery, partially. I think it happened in other games but maybe it wasn't frequent enough to be patched but the main game I was referring to Ghosts of Tsushima has acknowledged it's the game:

Release notes v1053.3.0612.1334

• Fixed an issue that could cause shadows to appear smeared for a few frames.
(More but removed to stay OT)

Reactions: 35below0
May 16, 2024
I've noticed image retention mostly in fast-paced games with static HUDs. Have you tried adjusting your screen settings or using the pixel refresh function? It worked wonders for me!

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I've noticed image retention mostly in fast-paced games with static HUDs. Have you tried adjusting your screen settings or using the pixel refresh function? It worked wonders for me!
I have to figure out what other games had it. I think it may have been ELM sync or whatever it was called but Ghosts was fixed by the update. Unfortunately now that I've progressed as far as I have.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
with 1ms response time, its odd its doing it.
https://au.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MPG321UR-QD

do you use hdmi or DP?

screen blur on same monitor using HDMI, not with Display Port- no answers

most results for monitor mention IPS glow and bleed, but not blurring
It's not blurring, its odd retention. For the issue, think of it as a 85% Transparent overlay of the last frame. This is as close as I can find to what it was doing, except it wasn't just the main character, it was all game shadows.
employee%20retention%20advice%20970_0.jpg.webp

I'm using quality DisplayPort 1.4 cable, I don't buy those nonsense $1000 cables but also don't buy cheapo or no-names.

Also, as there seems to be no proper standard, while it says 1ms, apparently that 1ms refers to some unit of measurement not relevant to real world/gaming use, I think it's actually 2ms or 4ms but just wanted to mention it.

I don't suspect the monitor because functionally it's (nearly) flawless. Two stuck pixels that I have mentally blocked out, don't even remember where they are. None of the other i've read about

Last edited: