[SOLVED] Immersion Cooling, Vegetable Oil or Mineral Oil?

David3290321

Commendable
BANNED
Nov 20, 2021
Hi, I want to make a dual pc immersion cooling build. Got all my components besides the oil/dielectric coolant. Coolant is very expensive, I have a 10 Gal tank and 8 Gal of Immersion cooling oil cost $130 but 10 Gal of Vegetable Oil only cost around $35. I know all oil is non conducive but I don't know if their is a cooling difference from Immersion cooling oil and store bought vegetable oil.

RealBeast

Titan
Mineral oil, no vegetable oil as it is somewhat conductive, degrades over time pretty bad, and is less benign on computer hardware than mineral oil.

Mineral oil is so good that it is used in both of the electrical transformer boxes on my property that supply the neighborhood.

It is a very messy build though, so make absolutely sure that everything is perfect before immersion and that it runs flawlessly.

RealBeast

Titan
Okay, Could I use this stuff? Coolant thing. It is the same price but non corrosive.
I would not recommend it, as over time it increases conductivity from any source of corrosion -- which is why you can actually test the quality of your auto antifreeze with a multi-meter. If you really want to do it, your choice is mineral oil. And I do not recommend it for practical reasons. It is very painful to do any repairs or upgrades.