Processor : i7-3770

GPU : Giga Byte R9 280X 3GB 384 Bit

RAM : (8+4 GB)12Gb 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance

Primary Storage : 240Gb SP SSD

Secondary Storage : 1TB Western Digital HD

PSU : Corsair 650Watt

Display : Asus 22" 1080p Full HD LED Monitor

Motherboard : Asus H61-M

Guys as you can clearly see i have a cheap motherboard , if i buy a gaming motherboard i.e Asus Rampage , will my gaming experience get better then before and how much will it get better ?

Thank you

Solution
That's not false, how ever you never mentioned anything about adding higher speed ram or adding a second graphics card.
If you swap a motherboard and that's the only thing you change you gain little to nothing in terms of performance.
Yes, a better board will have more (not really better) pci-e slots, allowing for better expansion such as more graphics cards, sound card, raid card, etc.
Higher speed/more memory also has little impact in terms of gaming performance, yes you will gain a few fps with higher speed memory, you may also gain a few extra fps by using a proper dual channel memory kit.
Since you currently don't have a 'k' series cpu the overclocking abilities of a motherboard is a moot point.
The pci-e lanes are only split up...

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
5fps? ok maybe, 10fps? Nope. Maybe if your cpu was a bottleneck and the new motherboard supported auto overclocking would you see any improvements to fps.
Since you own a i7-3770, no amount of overclocking will improve your fps by that much with your current graphics card.
The only reason to buy a better motherboard at this stage would be if you needed the extra features.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
the guy you spoke you is either wrong or misleading with his information.

the only way the mobo will offer less gaming performance is if the pcie slot is under performing which im sure it isn't being that it is new enough to run a 3770. Or if your system ram is running very very slow, which again I doubt also.

The higher end boards will offer overclocking ability. But you don't need that as your chip isn't a "K" model. Maybe or most likely better onboard sound and perhaps other bells and whistles.

pecul1ar

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

Can you explain more?

I've always thought that some mobos are better cause they might have better pcie, memory lane configurations, have sata3, better overclocking controls/higher clock ceilings, etc..

Is this false?

USAFRet

Titan

If one motherboard only has SATA II ports, and a different one has SATA III...then yes, there would be a difference (if using an SSD).

A more expensive mb may have more 'features'....but PCI-E is PCI-E. SATA III is SATA III.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
That's not false, how ever you never mentioned anything about adding higher speed ram or adding a second graphics card.
If you swap a motherboard and that's the only thing you change you gain little to nothing in terms of performance.
Yes, a better board will have more (not really better) pci-e slots, allowing for better expansion such as more graphics cards, sound card, raid card, etc.
Higher speed/more memory also has little impact in terms of gaming performance, yes you will gain a few fps with higher speed memory, you may also gain a few extra fps by using a proper dual channel memory kit.
Since you currently don't have a 'k' series cpu the overclocking abilities of a motherboard is a moot point.
The pci-e lanes are only split up once 2 or more cards are plugged into the pci-e 16x slots, with only one card installed it will have full use of all 16 lanes.

Solution