Question Improving FPS Performance

Exdeus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
Greetings. Primarily play World of Warcraft and would like to improve systems overall performance. FPS is around 90 - 100fps, but monitor is 144hz. G-Sync is enabled on the Nvidia Control Panel linked to the monitor. Would like to try and improve to match monitor, or is this not worthwhile? I do see some framerate dips at the start of larger raids, but otherwise it is stable and recovers quickly. No significant drop offs, but it does move down to the 60's - 100's depending on area and density of activity. Played Elden Ring fine as well. Would anything on the system be worth upgrading at this point, or not really? Is it just due to the nature of the game? Appreciate any advice.

Monitor: LG 34GN850-B 3440x1440
Core i7 10700k (3.80GHz) (No OC)
32GB DDR4 RAM (16GB x2) (Uses 2 of 4 memory slots)
NVIDIA GeForce 12GB RTX 3080 Ti
Intel Z490-A Pro (MS-7C75) Motherboard
2 TB SSD

Appreciate any recommendations and insight. If it isn't worth it, appreciate the frankness on that too.

Last edited:

Exdeus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
Are you running ray tracing in Wow and any antialiasing? If you're after more frames them don't run ray tracing, you wouldn't notice it anyway. And if your resolution is crisp enough without antialiasing then try that off too.

Hello, and thank you for the reply! I am running anti-aliasing. I have it set to MSAA 2x, but will disable it. In regards to ray tracing, I only saw Ray Traced Shadows and it was on high. I disabled it and saw about a 2 - 8 FPS jump. I have the below settings currently:

• Display Mode: Fullscreen
  • Window Size: 3440x1440
  • Resolution Scale: 100%
  • Monitor: Primary
  • Anti-Aliasing: MSAA 2x
  • Vertical Sync: Disabled
  • Texture Resolution: High
  • Spell Density: Dynamic
  • Projected Textures: Enabled
  • View Distance: 8/10
  • Environmental Detail: 8/10
  • Ground Clutter: 8/10
  • Shadow Quality: Ultra
  • Liquid Detail: Good
  • Particle Density: Ultra
  • SSAO: Ultra
  • Depth Effects: High
  • Compute Effects: High
  • Outline Mode: High
Advanced Settings for System:
  • Triple Buffering: Enabled (Disabled is double buffering)
  • Texture Filtering: 4x Anisotropic
  • Ray Traced Shadows: Good (I turned it off now - saw maybe 2 FPS jump)
  • Ambient Occlusion Type: FidelityFX CACAO
  • MSAA: Color 2x / Depth 2x
  • Multisample Alpha-Test: Enabled
  • Post-Process AA: None
  • Resample Quality: Fidelity FX / Super Resolution 1.0
  • Graphics API: Direct X 12
  • Physics Interactions: Player Only
  • Graphics Card: Auto Detect
Thank you again for the reply. Anything further you can think of?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Set settings on ultra to one level down. Texture Filtering to 16x, there's no real impact on performance and ground at a distance looks better. And yeah try no antialiasing.

Wow can be demanding on cpu, what speed is your ram? At least 3200?

Reactions: Exdeus

Exdeus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
Set settings on ultra to one level down. Texture Filtering to 16x, there's no real impact on performance and ground at a distance looks better. And yeah try no antialiasing.

Wow can be demanding on cpu, what speed is your ram? At least 3200?

Thank you again for the reply. The RAM is actually 3000mhz. The PC is a pre-built by MSI. It is roughly a year, year and a quarter old maybe at this point. Link to the newegg open box for the item is below in case it adds any value.

https://www.newegg.com/msi-aegis-rs-10tf-214us/p/N82E16883152953R

Looking at the motherboards manual, it says the below:

• 4x DDR4 memory slots, support up to 128GB
  • Supports 1R 2133/2666/2933 MHz
    • 1 DPC 1R Max speed up to 4800+ MHz
    • 1DPC 2R Max speed up to 4266+ MHz
    • 2DPC 1R Max speed up to 4400+ MHz
    • 2DPC 2R Max speed up to 4000+ MHz
  • Supports Dual-Channel Mode
  • Supports non-ECC, un-buffered memory
  • Supports Intel Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
Will this board support DDR5, or is DDR4 still the way to go? Unfamiliar with the differences. Also, looking at the Toms Hardware RAM review posted 5 days ago, it lists two 8gb Patriot Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 (2 x 8GB) as the best gaming RAM, then has an option a bit lower for 32gb Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-3200 (2 x 16GB) . Which is the better option?

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-ram,4057.html

Thanks again!

Do you have a budget?

There is always some limit on gaming performance.
Usually either cpu or gpu.
You have an excellent gpu so I doubt that is the issue.
You also have a quite good 10th gen cpu.
Test your cpu by running the cpu-z bench test and look at the single thread performance rating.
The i5-10700K should score about 582:
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/3lv9ly
Many of the submissions will come from overclocked systems and overclocking is a possible avenue for improvement.
I9-11900K is also a possible upgrade.
I don't know that such an upgrade would be worth it.
That is something only YOU can determine.
With a $500 budget, you would do better with a 13th gen cpu and mobo upgrade.

Ram speed change is not likely to make any difference.
Unlike ryzen, Intel performance does not depend much on ram speed.
Your motherboard does not support DDR5 ram, and current tests show only marginal performance differences anyway.

Exdeus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2012
Do you have a budget?

There is always some limit on gaming performance.
Usually either cpu or gpu.
You have an excellent gpu so I doubt that is the issue.
You also have a quite good 10th gen cpu.
Test your cpu by running the cpu-z bench test and look at the single thread performance rating.
The i5-10700K should score about 582:
http://valid.x86.fr/bench/3lv9ly
Many of the submissions will come from overclocked systems and overclocking is a possible avenue for improvement.
I9-11900K is also a possible upgrade.
I don't know that such an upgrade would be worth it.
That is something only YOU can determine.
With a $500 budget, you would do better with a 13th gen cpu and mobo upgrade.

Ram speed change is not likely to make any difference.
Unlike ryzen, Intel performance does not depend much on ram speed.
Your motherboard does not support DDR5 ram, and current tests show only marginal performance differences anyway.

I ran the VErsion 17.01.64 bench test. Results are:

CPU Single Thread: 560.3
CPU Mutli Thread: 5630.3

In regards to your other questions, no real budget frankly. Just curious what is holding the system back and can likely swing to adjust what I need without any major impacts. Frankly, I don't want to spend thousands, but I am willing to spend a bit of money to get there, within reason for myself.

Your results seem nominal.
With $500 or so to spend, I would be looking at the 13600K and a Z790 based motherboard for some$500.

The top dog 13900K is likely to be sold out or scalped

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
One can have all the top hardware of the current times, and still be held back by software. That is one of the biggest(if not already #1) setbacks in the continuous pursuit of more performance.
The ol' Warcraft 3 engine has been updated over several expansions. I'd imagine there's only so much they can do with it, but it saves time and money from using a completely different one, like UE5 or something.
There's programs running on your PC - A/RGB control, mouse & keyboard, CAM/iCUE, 3rd party security, Rivatuner... it all adds up.
Some latency is unavoidable with these always online games, and it's not just you present.

You can monitor per core utility while playing and see if any cores are pushing around 90%(it does not have to be 100%).
Cpu is the fps. Gpu is the eyecandy, either at the same rate as the cpu or less; it is never faster than the cpu.
Experiment with in game settings. Sometimes there's a little note telling you what is affected by a particular setting and by how much - I wish more titles did that, as presets are not optimal.