In Pictures: A History Of Computer RPGs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sol_

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Agree with Lord Conrad about ZORK. Should of been first on the list, and if I remember correctly, it preceded the Ultima series by a couple of years.

"It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

randomkid

Distinguished
Agree with all the guys above who said 1998 jump to 2009 is a big gap. There were 30 games considered how can it be cut down to just 17? Disappointing... This article needs an overhaul.

G

Am I missing the point?
I'd think Wolfenstein 3D and the Doom series were at least trendsetting in gameplay, graphics and extensively played worldwide.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]ASons[/nom]Am I missing the point?I'd think Wolfenstein 3D and the Doom series were at least trendsetting in gameplay, graphics and extensively played worldwide.[/citation]

Were they an RPG? Nope. That's what you are missing.

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom]No mention of Zork???I know I'm showing my age, but Zork I & II were the first RPGs I ever played.[/citation]
Zork I, II and III weren't actually role playing games, they were text adventure games. Beyond Zork, however, was a true RPG through and through. I love that game a lot, but I wouldn't say it revolutionized anything in the RPG genre (it came out in 1987, so most of what it did had been done elsewhere already).

And yeah... we seem to be missing a decade in this article.

djezyd

Honorable
May 4, 2012
Hmmmm, guess you forgot a meteoric evolutionary step in RPGs, years before EotB ? DUNGEON MASTER 1987 !

Lord Captivus

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]No Morrowind, no Oblivion, no KOTOR, no NWN, no Mass Effect... no Might and Magic? Stupid list.[/citation]
Lands of Lore?
Final fantasy?
What about The Revenant!?

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Of all the games on this list, I've only played Origins. I also thinnk Mass Effect should be included in the list as the idea of Element Zero alone is incredible

Pezcore27

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Fun times. I remember a bunch of those.

I am quite suprised that World of Warcraft isn't on that list, nor is Diablo 2 which progressed and surpassed Diablo very easily and still an active game even today.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Too bad it was only a PC list.

My most favorite RPG of all time was also the first I ever played and it was on an original Nintendo of all things.

Dragon Warrior.

I spent many hundreds of hours on that game and even downloaded an emulator for it and played it again a few years ago. Man that game was a classic!!!!!!!!!!!

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Oh and before I forget how in the frack can this list not have a FINAL FANTASY on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially Final Fantasy 7 (yes it was on PC as well as console)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
FF 7 and 8 were on the PC but they were console JRPGs, this covers more Western RPGs.

I do agree, Morrowind, Witcher, Mass Effect, and other games should be on there. Nevertheless it isn't a bad list.

[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom]No mention of Zork???I know I'm showing my age, but Zork I & II were the first RPGs I ever played.[/citation]
Zork isn't an RPG. It was the game that made adventure games big. You definitely couldn't talk about adventure gaming without Zork.

Status
Not open for further replies.