In Pictures: Dear Developers, 15 Games Worthy Of A Sequel

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

How the hell do you not put the X-wing/Tie Fighter series on here? Sure, X-wing alliance was okay. Imagine it with today's internet connections and graphics cards, multiple people in the same spacecraft. Or make it part of the star wars universe online. You cannot tell me the rest of you nerds don't want a reason to put a joystick on your desk and blow up other players in an intergalactic dog fight of EPIC proportions.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Warcraft 4 and Burnout 2? I'm in! Only in the last few months have I stopped playing Warcraft 3. It's the user content that made the game special to me.
As much as I enjoyed BFBC2, it did certainly have its issues. Such as, snipping with a pistol from 1km away. A .357 magnum doing twice the damage of a 9mm (.354), when they are essentially the same bullet. I just want better ballistics in games.

Saboteur 2 would be welcome also. I absolutely loved the final weapon, a 15 round 3 shot burst automatic sniper rifle. Could it get any better?

[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]...A .357 magnum doing twice the damage of a 9mm (.354), when they are essentially the same bullet....[/citation]
No, just no.

While these two types of ammunition may have quite similar diameters, they are actually quite different in performance.
Basically, the .357 Magnum has a larger case which is filled with more powder than a 9mm Parabellum round.
This increase in powder produces much more pressure, which in turn imparts more energy into the bullet.
By having more energy imparted to the bullet, a .357 Magnum round has will do quite a bit more damage than a 9mm Parabellum round.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Civ5 was a huge misstep. In a way, the graphics in Civ4 look better. The multiplayer is horrible. The core game mechanics aren't really fun and too dumbed down. The combat and hexes are a nice change, and I like the detailed leaders, but the game feels bloated. The AI is horrible and diplomacy is a huge step back. I can play the game on normal and not feel threatened at all because the AI sucks at fighting and coordinating attacks even though it loves to declare war and denounce you for everything you do.

ssgcmw

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I'm still hoping for another Xwing or Wing Commander sequel - I loved the "in-cockpit" space sims. Ditto to Half-life 3 and Thief as well.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Good read. I haven't heard of The Sabateur so I'll have to check it out. If it is as funny as it sounds that should be fun. And I have heard of Just Cause but I haven't tried the first or second one as far as I remember. I wonder if it is better than crysis for open world. If the fun factor is better, then that is definitely worth trying.

Speaking of Crysis, too bad Crysis 2 isn't on steam otherwise I would own it already. Maybe I'll get it on origin at some point ah well.

grandgnu

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Some greats already mentioned in the comments above, but you folks forgot:

Sid Meirs Gettysburg
Populous
Powermonger
Wing Commander

I do agree with:

Dungeon Keeper
Carmageddon
Tie Fighter

Also, I really don't get all the love for Half-Life 2. That game bored me to tears. Kill monsters, find random physics puzzle, solve physics puzzle, rinse, repeat.

To me, HL2 was just a showoff for their physics engine with all the infuriating linear paths that required you to puzzle your way through, really took the immersion away and frustrated me as a player, so I didn't even bother completing the stupid game.

headless97

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
They mentioned a lot of games that definitely will have sequels. There will be a Civ VI but Civ V is still fairly new. The Vegas games were awful tactical shooters. The gunplay itself felt great, but the AI, squad commands, map design, cover system, weapon balance, and controls (no lean feature?) were all awful. Battlefield will continue. Burnout Paradise basically did with NFS: Hot Pursuit.

I would love a new Homeworld, Star/Earthsiege, a F2P UT 2k4, GRID, Freelancer, Xwing vs TIE Fighter. A lot of sci-fi there....

G

"Speaking of Valve's other franchises, where is Left 4 Dead 3? Honestly, Left 4 Dead 2 wasn't any more impressive than Left 2 Dead..." come on now. Typo's in my tomshardware?

G

Civilization :Call to Power 2 deserves a sequel
It is a much solid simulation than Civ 5 ,has advanced futuristic weapons like plasma tanks and giant robots
You can build cities into space and at the bottom of the ocean
It has super special units like the Tele Evangelist who are like the ones in the real virtual world :)))
and it has a much more obust economy management than asigning people to work on tiles
It has armies made of 12 units each and so on
Much better than all Civs by Sid Meyers

wrazor

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
AGE OF MYTHOLOGY.Damn. That game rocks. How come games like WC3 are there. Arent they sequels themselves? :-s Either this article is wrongly titled as worthy sequels as opposed to worthy remakes. In that case, i whole heartedly agree with WC3 and UT2003. Those were the good old days, especially for rts genre. Civ 5 is good too. I cant remember the name of that game, but there was a realy good war based turn based strategy game(like real warfare). Anyway, good article.

G

No love for Rise of Nations? Is it too old?

Company of Heroes is another must. Age of empires one to.

Status
Not open for further replies.