Question In-place upgrade in Windows 11 - "I want to help make the installation better"

USAFRet

Titan
I'm doing an in-place installment of Windows 11 to fix a cumulative update error and have this option to tick if wanted.

Does ticking this option install any kind of unnecessary drivers that could potentially make things worse for a gaming laptop, or is it more so a data collection thing? Does it matter if I tick it?
Of course, only do this with a known good full drive backup.

Reactions: ShangWang

USAFRet

Titan
Got a backup, I think I also found the more important option:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Normally is it a bad idea to have this ticked, and whatever updates you need can just be installed by checking Windows updates?

Should I leave it to "Not right now?"
Given a known good backup, I would leave that checked.
Let it get whatever updates it thinks it needs.

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
Given a known good backup, I would leave that checked.
Let it get whatever updates it thinks it needs.
I see, though would you know what exactly it changes or where it gets these 'updates' from?

Is it just the optional updates you would find in the "Windows Update" tab and you can just go there and install those updates yourself if everything else is working fine? I just want to do this install to fix my cumulative update error.

USAFRet

Titan
I see, though would you know what exactly it changes or where it gets these 'updates' from?

Is it just the optional updates you would find in the "Windows Update" tab and you can just go there and install those updates yourself if everything else is working fine? I just want to do this install to fix my cumulative update error.
It finds whatever drivers and updates it thinks it needs, based on your hardware config.
Nothing malicious or hazardous.

ShangWang

Reputable
Mar 26, 2021
It finds whatever drivers and updates it thinks it needs, based on your hardware config.
Nothing malicious or hazardous.
Thank you, I just worry it might mess with any working drivers and throttle my laptop since it's from AORUS and might not handle such driver updates too well.

I'm wondering if these updates are not obtainable by checking myself manually through Windows optional updates and are exclusively done automatic through the tick option.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you, I just worry it might mess with any working drivers and throttle my laptop since it's from AORUS and might not handle such driver updates too well.

I'm wondering if these updates are not obtainable by checking myself manually through Windows optional updates and are exclusively done automatic through the tick option.
You have, in theory, a known good full drive backup, right?

So do this in place thing, with that box checked.
If it works well, all is good.

If it does not, recover and start over.

If you had just done it, likely you would be done by now.