INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE After Reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xttract

Reputable
May 10, 2014
Hey

I'm experiencing an extremely frustrating issue. I did a clean reset of my PC after experiencing some problems with Windows 10 that could be fixed by resetting. I proceeded to reset my PC.

During the reset, once the resetting circle had reached %100 it came up with the Windows 10 logo and the loading wheel. It then went to a blue screen saying "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you" and down below the error code INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

It then proceeds to restart and repeat the exact same thing. If anyone can fix this I will be extremely great full.

Thank you

Solution
Hello Xttract

Can you please confirm if you are performing a 'clean install' or 'full reset' and removing all your personal files?

Also, are you using SSD along with an HDD? If you are using an SSD with HDD, the chances are that the PC has started looking for the bootable operating system in the HDD.

Disconnecting the HDD from your PC and then Resetting the PC Externally may resolve the issue.

After Windows 10 boots normally, you can reconnect your HDD to the computer.

Hope this helps.
Hello Xttract

Can you please confirm if you are performing a 'clean install' or 'full reset' and removing all your personal files?

Also, are you using SSD along with an HDD? If you are using an SSD with HDD, the chances are that the PC has started looking for the bootable operating system in the HDD.

Disconnecting the HDD from your PC and then Resetting the PC Externally may resolve the issue.

After Windows 10 boots normally, you can reconnect your HDD to the computer.

Hope this helps.

Solution

docbillnet

Reputable
Aug 17, 2015
Same problem. I tried many posted solutions, with 0% success. Windows would just keep rebooting automatically with the same error. The Windows install DVD would simply report my windows was corrupt and needing fixing, but would not even boot to the install prompt. The recovery USB would act like I didn't even have a hard drive.

I finally found if I booted with the DVD while the USB recovery was plugged in, I would get an option to boot to failsafe mode. Unfortunately this boot took my to the windows install, not my actual Windows system. After again trying all the various recovery option, I finally decided screw it and do a fresh Windows install.

Before Windows would let me install to my SSD it made me manually delete every single partition so it could change it to GPT. So if you don't have a second hard drive to install to, I don't see a possible way to preserve the data... Fortunately, I keep all my data backup. So copying back to my SSD was a pain, but at least possible.

BTW. One of the methods I tried that failed to fix it was the bootrec commands from the prompt. I suspect the reason this particular method failed is when booting from a DVD or USB my boot drive ends up being drive E. But when booting from the drive directly it is drive C. I probably needed to tell bootrec this, but I did not know the correct syntax to do so.

Randy_777

Reputable
Sep 4, 2015

Hello, could you please explain how to delete portions and change to GPT? I guess using cmd diskpart but I don't know what to do!
Thank you in advance

jprestosh

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

Khanh_

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

Unbelievable, It's too stupidly simple! Thanks Joya2Islam

ahless

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
I found a fix for this problem
this error is caused by a driver called IDE ATA/SATA controller
just go online and find your laptop IDE ATA/SATA controller driver
try and find your advanced settings and boot into safe mode and install the driver then boot back to normal mode that's all

passypass4

Reputable
Dec 25, 2015

What do i need to do if i cant get into safe mode?

Omar_12

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015

SAME!!! cause i deleted windows off the computer and booting it from a usb so i cant boot into safe mode help!!!

DoctorHerobrine

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Before you turn your computer on, remove everything from the computer including the keyboard and mouse, remove everything then turn it on. If it still says INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE then go into your BIOS and make sure the HDD is set to AHCI because if you have it set to IDE it will crash. I had that issue with Windows 7 because I dual booted it with Windows XP and I have to switch to AHCI everytime I want to go into Windows 7 or set it to IDE when going back to Windows XP. Hopefully this helps.

Greg_33

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016

This worked like a charm for me as well. Thanks, Joya2Islam!

Jtkiller

Reputable
Jan 27, 2016

YOU ARE A GOD! PERFECT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!

Razor4

Commendable
Feb 16, 2016

kenblu24

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

I almost didn't believe that this worked for me. My problem was slightly different, I have gone into detail about it here. If you have the same problem I do, simply restart into safe mode by holding down shift before you hit the restart button, boot into safe mode, then shut down. Once the computer is off, move the boot drive to the desired port. Booted up like there was no problem at all.

ho11agetdo11a

Reputable
Feb 1, 2016

This worked for me but with an additional workaround - none of my keyboards were working to select the option to 'Boot into Safe Mode'. After step 2, I had to use the blue screen's command prompt option and then turn on safe mode via the command prompt, per steps at http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/69585-safe-mode.html.

FWIW, I got myself here by enabling SATA RAID in my BIOS (MSI mobo). Set up a RAID volume and then got the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error (the RAID volume is not my boot device). Also noticed that my BIOS kept changing the default boot device, so I kept having to change it back to my boot SSD. Was ready to reinstall Windows but thankfully I found this.

DarkSoulaire

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
I just want to put this out there for anyone who derped like I apparently did. My problem was that I went into the BIOS to see what my computer had to offer, and I accidentally clicked, but I didnt see anything change. Something did, which was, I changed rapid storage technology to ON. I spent about 15 minutes, rebooting and stuff, then I went back in to change what I changed back, and realized that it looked different. As soon as I change that back to OFF, it worked again.

henryracine

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016

please explain in more depth I'm in my bios and I'm a bit confused

Nathan_58

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Can someone please help me
I have tried multiple times to clean install windows 10. Ill format the partions make sure nothing is there. When I install it it will actually finsh setup and get me to a desk top but as soon as I unplug my bootable USB and restart it gives me the inaccessible_boot_Device error. I dont know what to do
Can't boot into safe mode
Can't use CSM in bios because my bios doesn't have it.
Someone please help!

SonyaAnn

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015
Not sure yet what is going on here.. Cloned my hard drive lastnight after it shut down the pc I have inaccessible_boot_device for both drives. I have tried bootrec commands all night nothing has worked. Tried repairing the bcd, rebuilding, and tried bootsec. I just tried changing the bios options and nope that did not work either. I was getting a little hopeful when I actually saw a different screen after attempting yet again to run startup repair. But it just now gave me the same inaccessible_boot_device error. Really hope I'm not about to lose everything, since I have no backup media, I was cloning to a new hard drive. I've tried uninstalling everything nothing is getting me past this.

Colif

Win 11 Master

Did you make a separate request about it? Your problem just get missed in this thread

You can use this method to save files: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

The problem with BIOS advice is not every bios uses same terms. So while is CSM in some bios, its called something else in another or not there at all. The part you are after is the boot method, most have either UEFI Boot or Legacy or maybe even auto as options.

Status
Not open for further replies.