INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

G

I recently got a new mother board( asus a7v,) processor (amd 1ghz), and memory (128 pc133 sdram). I am trying to use a HD (maxtor 13.6GB udma66) that has win2k already installed from when I had it in another computer. Win2k starts to boot and I get the colorful win2k screen but then it goes to a blue screen with the error INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE and some error codes which I do not have at this time. It says I should remove any HD's or ide controllers that I have recently installed (of course I want to boot of the drive I just installed!). I suspect that the drive will no boot because win2k was installed while it was on a different computer. Does anyone know a workaround for this? I'd like to boot off the drive without fdisking it and losing data.

G

Just a thought...try pressing (I believe) F8 when u see the colorful screen to attempt a "Safe Mode" boot in Win2k. Win2k is probably freaking because it has drivers for a certain hardware that is no longer there.
hope this is helpful

G

I had the same issue with a drive that I was rebuilding from Win95 to NTWS 4.0. When attempting to start NT I got the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE. This was a fresh install, after a fresh fdisk etc etc. In essence, just an OS change.
A techie gave me a new drive to try and the system now runs. Not sure if he has tested the INACCESSIBLE drive in another system or not but.....could be a shot HD.

If anyone happens to have another opinion or way to fix let me know...would be appreciated :)

Keep your eyes open....the world only keeps getting bigger.

G

Windows 2000??? you need to download the controllers drivers. put them on a floppy and it must contain a .cat file. This is a catalogue file that nt uses. when you install, at the beginning of setup press F6 to install a third party SCSI or RAID controller. It will think for a few minutes then ask you for the disk... follow instructions.

G

Thats a good article cht, thanks for that, Im about to do the exact same thing, moving a win200 hdd to another sys