diegohm

Reputable
Apr 26, 2018
Hi, so i've been having ping spikes for quite a while now so i decided to get an Ethernet Powerline kit since the Router is out of my reach. Today i managed to get it to work properly by pinging with the console all the time. This caused me to have a low and constant ping for pretty much the entire time i spent playing. But then today in the evening all of a sudden i started having huge lag spikes while playing (up to 2000 ms) and even ended up disconnecting. Now i cant manage to get the powerline kit to work without latency issues anymore. I also read somewhere that if you ping your default gateway and have high latendy indicates that the issue is on your side. The thing is, the default gateway for my ethernet adapter and wireless lan is the same ip address and now whenever i ping it i ocasionally get high ping spikes.
Another problem is that when i go downstairs with my laptop and connect it directly to the router with an ethernet cable, the download speed is 40 mb/s, while upstairs with wifi it ocasionally peaks at 5 mb/s and sometimes even dips to 0,5 mb/s. It was the same when using wifi right next to the router too.

The powerline adapter i was using was a TPLink AV600 2 Port.

Solution
Powerline are actually radio signals that are transmitted over the power wires. It is not real common for them to get interference since only things hooked to the wires can interfere but it does happen.

So first step is some careful testing. Turn off the wifi radios on your router to be sure your PC is using the powerline/ethernet and not the wifi.

You could try the second powerline unit in the same room as the router. Mostly to be sure the powerline unit themselves do not have some problem.

After that you can try the brute force approach. Leave a ping run to your router over the powerline. Now go t the power panel and turn off all the circuit breakers except for the room with the router and the remote room. You also want...
Powerline are actually radio signals that are transmitted over the power wires. It is not real common for them to get interference since only things hooked to the wires can interfere but it does happen.

So first step is some careful testing. Turn off the wifi radios on your router to be sure your PC is using the powerline/ethernet and not the wifi.

You could try the second powerline unit in the same room as the router. Mostly to be sure the powerline unit themselves do not have some problem.

After that you can try the brute force approach. Leave a ping run to your router over the powerline. Now go t the power panel and turn off all the circuit breakers except for the room with the router and the remote room. You also want to unplug anything uneeded from both those rooms. Be sure to turn off everything including say a dishwasher or garage door opener.

Then you slowly turn things on until the problem comes back. Some device you might fix the problem by plugging them in to a surge suppressor or extension cord. These tend to somewhat filter the noise issue.

Most times it is something with a motor. I have a shop vac that I can plug in anyplace in the house and it will kill powerline completely. In a rental house I had a ceiling fan only when it was running on medium would cause issues throughout the house.

Solution

diegohm

Reputable
Apr 26, 2018

After that you can try the brute force approach. Leave a ping run to your router over the powerline. Now go t the power panel and turn off all the circuit breakers except for the room with the router and the remote room. You also want to unplug anything uneeded from both those rooms. Be sure to turn off everything including say a dishwasher or garage door opener.

Then you slowly turn things on until the problem comes back. Some device you might fix the problem by plugging them in to a surge suppressor or extension cord. These tend to somewhat filter the noise issue.

Most times it is something with a motor. I have a shop vac that I can plug in anyplace in the house and it will kill powerline completely. In a rental house I had a ceiling fan only when it was running on medium would cause issues throughout the house.
That's gonna be difficult since I live in a 2 floor apartment and our landlady lives right below me, meaning I won't really be able to start unplugging stuff etc. One thing I forgot to mention was that I started lagging out yesterday around the time she arrived home I think. So I guess she turned on the lights or other devices that might have caused it. The only time I have a decent download speed and possibly no latency issues (have yet to test it out) is when I'm directly plugged into to router. Other wise I always have very low download speeds etc even when right next to the router. No matter if I'm using wifi or a powerline ethernet kit.