[SOLVED] Incorrect XMP frequency

Mar 11, 2022
I recently purchased two 8GB ram stick that are supposed to run at 3200MHz after enabling XMP in the BIOS, but I only get 2666MHz(I selected the correct profile).
I tried to change the frequency manually but the screen went black after saving the BIOS settings.
I'm sorry if this is a newbie question, but I tried to do anything I could to fix this to no avail.

My specs are:
Motherboard: H510M-E
CPU: i3 10100F
GPU: GTX 1080
Memory: KF432C16BBA/8 -> model number

Solution
You have a 10th gen i3, according to the specs
"10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7/i9 processors support 2933/2800/2666/2400/2133 natively, others will run at the maximum transfer rate of DDR4 2666MHz "
Hey there,

So your mobo supports up to 3200mhz for 11th Gen Intel CPU's.

For 10th gen only I7/I9 CPU's will run at up to 2933mhz. For anything else (your CPU) it will run at max of 2666mhz unfortunately.

'10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7/i9 processors support 2933/2800/2666/2400/2133 natively, others will run at the maximum transfer rate of DDR4 2666MHz ' - This is from the spec sheet for your mobo.

Hi HDDTHR (y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

You are mixing RAM which is a NO NO. To prevent a mismatch you should have purchased a single kit (2x8) that have been binned at the factory and matched accordingly.

The binning process checks for slight variations in Density/Latency and most likely why the XMP profile fails and sets the Frequency to 2666MHz.

If it continues and Bios will not accept manual Tweaking of Timings and Dram Voltage then return what you have for a single kit (2x8) that are listed on the MB QVL and that way you know they are tested and known to work.

Hi HDDTHR (y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

You are mixing RAM which is a NO NO. To prevent a mismatch you should have purchased a single kit (2x8) that have been binned at the factory and matched accordingly.

The binning process checks for slight variations in Density/Latency and most likely why the XMP profile fails and sets the Frequency to 2666MHz.

If it continues and Bios will not accept manual Tweaking of Timings and Dram Voltage then return what you have for a single kit (2x8) that are listed on the MB QVL and that way you know they are tested and known to work.
Whilst this is a fair statement, it's not always the case that ram doesn't work if they are not a matched kit. Yes, the advice is always to get a matched kit, preferably on the QVL, but just because it's not on the QVL, doesn't mean they won't work. Only means it's not tested.

Given the OP is hitting expected speed (2666mhz) for his CPU capabilities, it seems they are working as expected.
H510 cant OC ram at any cost. go with B560/B560m, and you could do any freq above 2666mhz.

H510 can't overclock the ram, but will use OC ram in XMP.