Question Inexpensive but good quality fans ?

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Please recommend low-cost fans to me, especially if you have seen few (or no) data-driven reviews about them. Any size that is typical for PCs (120-200mm?). No server fans, and no known POS fans, please.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Arctic has two main lines. F(low) and P(pressure) with variants for PWM/PST. Size is typically a 2 digit number, such as F12/P12 (120mm). I understand they have a new "Max" line out as well, but IMO the value may or may not be there given they fall in a price range with many other competitors. I have not experienced the new model yet and haven't seen stock levels for them (to be) common....on the first mentioned models there are some nice deals on multiples as a set.

Reactions: ReveurGAM

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Arctic has two main lines. F(low) and P(pressure) with variants for PWM/PST. Size is typically a 2 digit number, such as F12/P12 (120mm). I understand they have a new "Max" line out as well, but IMO the value may or may not be there given they fall in a price range with many other competitors. I have not experienced the new model yet and haven't seen stock levels for them (to be) common....on the first mentioned models there are some nice deals on multiples as a set.
Hardware Canucks did a review of the P12 Max and it performed really well - almost 38 CFM better than the P12!

I've used a couple Revoltek and Xolence fans before. Not the best out there, but cheap and decently quality when not running at full speed. If you can run them on a controller or simply tie them to 7V they aren't that loud.

You don't need to buy expensive Noctua or Corsair fans to get good results. Sure, the cheaper ones might not be as quiet or have as much airflow, but you can buy 3 of them for the same price.

Reactions: ReveurGAM

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
I've used a couple Revoltek and Xolence fans before. Not the best out there, but cheap and decently quality when not running at full speed. If you can run them on a controller or simply tie them to 7V they aren't that loud.

You don't need to buy expensive Noctua or Corsair fans to get good results. Sure, the cheaper ones might not be as quiet or have as much airflow, but you can buy 3 of them for the same price.
Thanks! Which Revoltek and Xolence PWM fans would you suggest that can compete on the low end of the price spectrum?
Edit:
They responded to my email and said: "we`re actually setting up the US Distribution but it will take some time still. Once available we will surely be visible on AMAZON or MA*Labs and the other main platforms. "

Last edited:

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
Ok, in addition to the fans I have (Noctua NF-A12x25, NF-A14 iPPC-3000; Phanteks T30; Corsair ML120, SP120 RGB Elite, ThermalRight TL-C12) I've ordered:

Zalman RFD120A

YEEPHTECH Computer Case Fan 120mm ONK-V1

Antec PWM PC Fans, 120mm P12 (received)

NZXT AER F - RF-AF140-B1 (received)

Thermalright TL-C12C

Gelid Solutions Silent 12 PWM (received)

Kingwin 120mm CF-012LB

Antec PWM PC Fans, 120mm Storm Series

GONEBIN 120mm Cooling Fan Silent Gale-Fan LED RGB

Fractal Design Venturi HP-12 (received)

DeepCool FK120 (non-RGB variant of the FC120)

ARCTIC P12 PWM PST

CONISY RGB LED Series 120mm

I have several others I'll be ordering in the future to test, too.

I'm still taking suggestions, as well.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022

I didn't find Revoltek, but I found Revoltec, but no case fans (lots of other fans). No Xolence but there's Xilence...?

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
When shopping for fans, be careful because some brands charge a VERY low price ($1-5), however the shipping can range wildly.
Examples:

WinnerEco 120mm PC Computer Clear Case Quad 4 LED Light CPU Cooling Fan 12cm: $4.99+$4.99

XUnion Magic Diamond 120Mm Argb Pwm Case Fan: $1.79+14.99!

No/Brand 120mm PC Computer 16dB Ultra Silent 15 LEDs Case Fan Heatsink Cooler Cooling W/Anti Vibration Rubber,12CM Fan,12VDC 3P IDE 4pin|Fans & Cooling|: $4.99+$28!!!

Also, be aware that there are multiple vendors selling named and unnamed fans for different prices. I came across some where the prices varied by cents, but shipping varied by dollars. Sometimes the photos are identical, but other times the 1st photo is from a different angle.

And then there are the fans that are just really expensive, like Razer - the cheapest I could find:

Razer Kunai Hydraulic 120MM aRGB PC Fan: $41.39, with others double that. Other brands are over $100 for a fan!

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
I have only used the Silent series. Several to choose from here:

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=gelid+case+fan
Thanks, I recently received a Gelid Silent. I'm going to order the Stella Infinity (it's just so beautiful in the photo that I can't resist what is usually not desirable to me) and the Gale Extreme.
Yate Loon fans have been around for donkey's years. You'll find them in almost every decent psu. They've been primarily a commercial venture, so the public really hasn't had access in stores.
Thanks for the info. Any idea where's the best place to get their quality products?

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
I finished my wind tunnel yesterday. Try not to laugh. Unfortunately, my anemometer can do DP, WB and ambient temp, airflow and velocity (which only differ in terms of units really), and humidity, but I need guidance on doing static pressure. I have mesh I'll use to stimulate different densities of barriers, and I'll try to find or make other types.

Is the only way to put a picture here is by putting it on a website?

Any advice on measuring SP is appreciated.

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
I'm very frustrated. I was working on doing my testing of the fans I've received when I noticed a spike that wasn't mirrored by a change in the sound of the RPMs. And, later, I noticed another. And, with another fan. Sigh. The spikes were WAY outside of the listed margin of error (4x or so).

So I don't know if the meter is defective and I should ask for a replacement, or if this model is generally not reliable. I have the ProtMex PT6252B Digital Anemometer. There are a small number of negative reviews that complain about the accuracy.

Last edited:

ReveurGAM

Prominent
Sep 28, 2022
I just got in a big shipment of fans and related stuff, plus an anemometer from a different brand to try, sound dampening material and the case I use for sound testing, and a few other items. I think I have 100 fans now, as well as a few coolers and several thermal compounds.

I'm currently struggling with malware that cropped up when I installed my replacement GC last Saturday, so everything else is on hold, though. :(