Question information about ram modules

GreatMaster

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
hello,
i have bougt 2 ram modules some years ago and now i want to buy 2 more of the same brand and model for my laptop Clevo P157SM-A
its motherboard has support for dual-channel.
i have checked my ram and in one side it says CT102464BF186D.16FP and another side 16KTF1G64HZ-1G9P2

what is the difference among these 2 alfpanumeric numbers?
what also 16FP and 1G9P2 mean?

furthermore, the ebay seller of this item: https://www.ebay.com/itm/223351712191
told me that his/her ram modules are equal to my RAM modules,
so can i buy them and pair for example one atech ram with a crucial ram and have full support for dual-channel and not incur in problem of my motherboard running all memory modules at the speed of the slowest module ?
are those rams equal in every aspect but not stickers?

thanks

Last edited:
Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. Other combinations you decide to make have no guarantee to be compatible together.

You can do your own compatibility testing of memory that has never been tested together before with no guarantees as to how it will work if the system does boot up.

Use of exact match, same thing, identical memory have no guarantee to be compatible together. It may increase the odds of them working together over the use of random modules.

Reactions: GreatMaster

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
CT102464BF186D.16FP is the model number of that Crucial ram. It gives certain info as to its composition, such as CT is Crucial, 1024 is 1024 x 64 IC chips, 186 is 1866MHz etc

MT16KTF1G64HZ-1G9P2 is the serial number, MT being Micron Technologies (Crucial is Micron's in-house, public retail brand), so won't make any sense to anyone other than Crucial or Micron

Reactions: GreatMaster
CPU-Z will identify the ram and it's specs on the memory and SPD tabs.

If you are looking to add two more sticks, match those specs as close as you can.

Be aware that the internal construction if different sticks can differ, even with the exact same part number.
There is no assurance that disparate sticks will work together.
All ram must be managed with the same settings of voltage, cas and speed.
It is harder to make 4 disparate sticks work.

Your laptop supports up to 32gb.
My suggestion is to buy a 2 x 8 or 2 x 16gb single kit for the capacity that you need.
Sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ram and shoes are very similar. If the wife had a favorite pair of heels, and one broke, you'd replace both, she'd not wear 1 old and one of the new as the color would be off, the fit different, the look of wear different etc. Ram isn't any different, even if identical on the outside, it's not on the inside. Ram is made from sheets of silicon, and each sheet has infintismal differences in impurities and composition. Those don't usually affect the 5 primary timings that you see, but often can and will affect the 40+ secondary and tertiary timings. That discrepancy can mean 1 of 3 things. The ram is compatible, the ram is compatible after user adjustments, the ram isn't compatible. 1 is great, and common, 2 is not so good as it can mean high voltages or lowering timings or speeds or even adjusting memory controller voltages in the cpu, 3 sucks. 3 means returning the ram, and hoping the next batch is compatible. 3 can mean 20 trips to the store trying to find a stick that works with the old stick. 3 means months of waiting for online sales returns and shipping. 3 means upset store employees having to send good ram back to the vendor because the blister pack is breached and the ram is no longer verified.

Save yourself all that possible/probable headache, buy the ram size you want in a kit that's factory tested and certified compatible. Crucial and Kingston have ram that fits anything, and sales reps that'd be happy to talk to you about your possible options as to best ram for your need.

GreatMaster

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
CT102464BF186D.16FP is the model number of that Crucial ram. It gives certain info as to its composition, such as CT is Crucial, 1024 is 1024 x 64 IC chips, 186 is 1866MHz etc

MT16KTF1G64HZ-1G9P2 is the serial number, MT being Micron Technologies (Crucial is Micron's in-house, public retail brand), so won't make any sense to anyone other than Crucial or Micron
thank you all for trying to help me. i was thinking already that this forum isn't anymore popular and wasn't expecting to get any answer.
i have checked all 2 ra modules and they have the same serial number. for me, serial number is a number that only one ram module from the same brand has.
so, what is then the difference between serial number and model number?

GreatMaster

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
update
i got an official answer

here it is:
##
This part looks to be one of our parts that was a Micron part that has been relabel and sold as Crucial. Micron is our parent company and has the same RAM just sold under different part numbers. If we run out of stock of a certain part we will pull the equivalent Micron part to ensure our customer get their orders in a timely manner.

CT102464BF186D.16FP is the Crucial part number, while (MT)16KTF1G64HZ-1G9P1 is the Micron part number.
##