Question Information and advice on component stats for new build.

keljnr

Commendable
Jun 2, 2018
I'm looking at creating a new build, but would like to understand the components more. An example would be RAM, I see numbers like 3200mhz... What exactly is that number telling me? Is this a decent number?

How would I find out if my PSU is powerful enough? I see number of 'threads'... Motherboards etc.

Does anyone have any decent links they could share, that could help me?

Lutfij

Titan
3200MHz on the ram means that's the frequency at which the ram will be operating. This will help bring out the best of your platform whether it's for gaming or for productivity purposes(depends on the app you're using). Mention the make and model of the PSU and we can see what it is. Reviews actually give you all the answers and research is what helps bring about a good build.

Please include/list your proposed specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

keljnr

Commendable
Jun 2, 2018
Thanks for your reply. The computer will be mainly used for 3D modelling and rendering (Maya/vRay) as well as unity.

I will be playing games, but this is definitely secondary. Most important is Maya.

Its on a budget of £1600, and would like a GPU with raytracing. Was thinking of the 3070 (on release), but not sure if that'll leave me room for much else.

RAM - My works computer has 128 ddr3 ram... Might be a bit overkill. Was thinking 32 ddr4.

Motherboard: Not really sure on this, but would like to possibility to increase ram in future.

CPU, what ever is best on remaining budgets. There will be a lot of programs open at once.

PSU: Do I need to take into account the specs above? What kind of power should I be looking for?

I already have a couple of SSDs, so don't need to purchase these... That being said, they're not NVMe.

Last edited: