Question Infuriating stuttering on 144(165)hz monitor

Nov 13, 2019
So, as mentioned in the title, no matter what i play, no matter how much I downgrade in-game settings, no matter how many "tutorials" i watch, nothing fixes the stuttering issue. My display is at 165hz refresh rate (144hz monitor with build-in overclock) and i know for a fact that my rig can push most games beyond that. Any suggestions?

My rig:
CPU: i7 9700k
GPU: RTX 2080
RAM: two sticks, each 8 gb at 3200mhz
PSU: Corsair RM850X
Motherboard: Asus rog Z-390E
Monitor: 2560x1440p, 144hz (build-in oc to 165)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What does the stuttering look like? Have you checked temps, frequencies and usages live with a monitoring program like Msi Afterburner?

What hdd/ssd do you have and where are Windows and games installed?

Does your monitor have Gsync/Freesync? Have you tried lowering Hz to 144? What video cable are you using?

Is Windows a fresh install on the hardware currently?

Nov 13, 2019
What does the stuttering look like? Have you checked temps, frequencies and usages live with a monitoring program like Msi Afterburner?

What hdd/ssd do you have and where are Windows and games installed?

Does your monitor have Gsync/Freesync? Have you tried lowering Hz to 144? What video cable are you using?

Is Windows a fresh install on the hardware currently?
Alright, so I think I can call it micro stuttering, because every 4-5 seconds framerate drops by 5-10 fps, then goes back up, while in game, that's why it's so iritating. I have only m.2 ssd so I don't thing these are the issue. I'll check the usage, temp when I will have acces to my pc.
My monitor does have g-sync, never tried to lower the refresh rate. I'am using displayport.
I update windows regurarly.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, check usage levels and temps when stutters happen. Micro stuttering is more profound when fps exceeds refresh rate, giving a jitter non smooth effect. More serious stutter being mini pauses where performance is being halted for a few milliseconds, enough to freeze the screen for a split second. The latter stutter usually being the cause from cpu/gpu thermal throttling (fluctuating speeds) or too high usage in the case of cpu maxing out resources.

Monitor cpu activity, temps, frequency and usage. You'll get an idea how the cpu is coping.

Reactions: Nonkii
Nov 13, 2019
Yeah, check usage levels and temps when stutters happen. Micro stuttering is more profound when fps exceeds refresh rate, giving a jitter non smooth effect. More serious stutter being mini pauses where performance is being halted for a few milliseconds, enough to freeze the screen for a split second. The latter stutter usually being the cause from cpu/gpu thermal throttling (fluctuating speeds) or too high usage in the case of cpu maxing out resources.

Monitor cpu activity, temps, frequency and usage. You'll get an idea how the cpu is coping.
I'll check 'em and let you know the results.
Also, that may be off topic but is it normal that a cpu is supposed to be running at 4,8 ghz at turbo mode but in the task manager it shows 4,57ghz?

Nov 13, 2019
Turbo is fine. Up to 4.9 single core usage and 4.6 all cores. Under automatic turbo, single core speeds is rarely achievable with modern software as there's more activity happening across more cores.
So it's supposed to be like that? Also, while gaming cpu is at 35-37 degrees celsius, usage at 20-30%, gpu at 40 degrees at 30-40%

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah Turbo looks normal, see

What's your cooling setup?

What game did you use to test and how did you monitor?

Have you tried 144Hz yet? Try keep frame rates in Gsync range. Try both 144/165Hz, vsync on application control and enable in-game.

Run Userbench and post link to your results.

johnrob

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014
I just got a new 5700 xt and when I first installed it I had stuttering, noticed it really bad in CSGO where I'd have 400-500 fps then it would drop to basically nothing, consistently every 1.5 seconds or so.

I tried to set all mobo bios settings to default (disabling xmp basically) and tried to make sure PCI slots were set correctly, no effect.

I tried reinstalling drivers, no effect.

I was able to fix it by wiping my windows drive and reinstalling. I don't mind doing that as all of my important files are on a secondary HDD, but you might have issue with that.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Don't know what else to suggest. Could try record when stutters happen with Msi Afterburner running. There's nothing pointing toward IO stutters ( In/Out from memory, drive, gpu or cpu).

Micro stutters is more to do with refresh rate and vsync.