Innovation at Apple is 'Sputtering', Says Analyst

Status
Not open for further replies.

echondo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
"Why is that Apple, the company that brought touch to phones and tablets, stopped just there and did not bring touch to notebooks and iMacs?"

Really? Apple brought touch screens to phones and tablets first?

This Chowdry guy is an idiot.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]"Why is that Apple, the company that brought touch to phones and tablets, stopped just there and did not bring touch to notebooks and iMacs?"Really? Apple brought touch screens to phones and tablets first?This Chowdry guy is an idiot.[/citation]
We used to have tablets without touch screen, you know.
Hint: Reality Distortion Field.

G

Yes and Microsoft gives us Win 8 and Metro, and talks like that terd is sweet chocolate candy. I would call Microsoft's attempt de-innovation, and a lust for Apple's closed ecosystem! At least Apple did not try to force ios onto the their desktop OS! Oh, and now a new improved CPU/GPU is something to frown about! I would hardly call Apples treatment of the A6X non-innovative, Zaky boy!

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]WhatZakSpins[/nom]Yes and Microsoft gives us Win 8 and Metro, and talks like that terd is sweet chocolate candy. I would call Microsoft's attempt de-innovation, and a lust for Apple's closed ecosystem! At least Apple did not try to force ios onto the their desktop OS! Oh, and now a new improved CPU/GPU is something to frown about! I would hardly call Apples treatment of the A6X non-innovative, Zaky boy![/citation]
Actually I like the Microsoft tablets..... They offer VERY competitive features (albeit less software) than iCrap.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]madjimms[/nom]Actually I like the Microsoft tablets..... They offer VERY competitive features (albeit less software) than iCrap.[/citation]
...and I'm sure the ecosystem for Surface RT will be great too. /sarcasm

Analyst confused over Apple's inability to bring touch technology to its notebooks and iMacs.
IDK, maybe because 'widgets' were so good and well adopted since they failed over-and-over: Windows 98 widgets failed, Windows ME widgets failed, Windows XP widgets failed, Windows Vista widgets failed, Windows 7 widgets failed, and now Windows 8 widgets on steroids - not to mention MacOS widgets failed. Also, Convertible & Tablet PC's for years also failed.

I'll give Microsoft credit for having huge balls with f/k/a Metro interface with Windows 8. I've used Windows 8 off and on since it's early Preview editions, and at least on a 'PC' it's not ideal and quite honestly gets a little annoying after a while.

I 'get' OMG 'NEW' ... sheep I must buy it mentality, goodness knows I bought a few $39 upgrades just in case and for testing. Now where Window 8 f/k/a Metro interface makes since to some degree is with Phones and for now Convertibles -- not RT, RT sucks. Convertible's like the Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 13 are indeed a perfect match (i7 Ivy Bridge, 128GB SSD, Touchscreen & Folds).

So unless you have a 'Touchscreen' IMO you're not going to be happy after a a month or two of trying to swipe your PC's screen ... or ... spending $500+ on a decent Touchscreen monitor.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Actually for any one paying attention you can see that Apple has lost considerable steam over the last few years. I would say the as soon as Jobs slowed down so did Apple. The last interesting thing they did is the Ipad, and that was years ago (eons in the tech world). Apple hasn't shown that it has that spark it needs in it's recent products.

Apple is on the same path of oblivion that it was the first time it was without Jobs.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
They didn't bring touch to Macs because touch only makes sense on handheld devices and kiosks. It's not a new idea, it's not new technology and it's not innovative. It's just a gimmick, there will be a wave of touch enabled PCs and then they'll quietly go away, just like previous gimmicks like voice recognition and 3D.

As for Apple, they've made a killiing in the last 10 years with iPod, iPhone and iPad. Now they're just making obscene profits and probably working on something new that may be 2 or 5 years out. You can't expect a company to come out with an insanely profitable game-changer every few years. They dominated the MP3 player market with iPod, they dominated the smartphone market with iPhone and they dominated the tablet market with iPad. When was the last time Microsoft pulled off something like that? Windows 95 and Office were their last game-changers that they just built on over the years. Zune was a failure, Kin was a failure, Windows Phone was and is a failure and Xbox wasn't dominant in the console market at any point (it was a multi-billion hole for Microsoft and it was being outsold by Wii 2:1).

So yeah, Microsoft is really changing the world with their square widgets, sorry, "Live tiles" and their kickstand equipped tablet. Amazing innovation.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]We used to have tablets without touch screen, you know.Hint: Reality Distortion Field.[/citation]

Microsoft unveiled a touch tablet waaay back before Apple (Around the time of XP and its tablet version).
HP and Palm had devices out the door (The Palm OS strikingly simple much like iOS) long before Apple.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]echondo[/nom]"Why is that Apple, the company that brought touch to phones and tablets, stopped just there and did not bring touch to notebooks and iMacs?"Really? Apple brought touch screens to phones and tablets first?This Chowdry guy is an idiot.[/citation]
i think he meant to the mainstream. as far as im concerned, apple wasn't first with most of their ideas, except maybe the personal computer, and a few other things. what they were first in was making some of these absolutely mainstream

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]sublime2k[/nom]9/20 articles on front page are about Apple, that's 45%. Are you fucking kidding me?[/citation]

By the sheer number of comments and page views it makes sense. You guys complain about Apple articles then flood them with a million negative comments and page views, then wonder why there's so many Apple articles...

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Microsoft unveiled a touch tablet waaay back before Apple (Around the time of XP and its tablet version).HP and Palm had devices out the door (The Palm OS strikingly simple much like iOS) long before Apple.[/citation]

They sold what 5 of them?

If I make a flying car that no one buys and has zero consumer market interest, but hey I was first to market so I should get credit for the billion dollar industry that exists not because of me but by competitors' products?

G

[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]By the sheer number of comments and page views it makes sense. You guys complain about Apple articles then flood them with a million negative comments and page views, then wonder why there's so many Apple articles...[/citation]
So Tom's Hardware brings more articles for people to hate? Maybe they should actually read the comments instead of relying on raw numbers.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]If I make a flying car that no one buys and has zero consumer market interest, but hey I was first to market so I should get credit for the billion dollar industry that exists not because of me but by competitors' products?[/citation]
True, but then there are the lawyers...

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
A fad can only last so long. You see Apple releasing the same product with minimal differences every year and nothing 'new' is ever developed, it's all difference sides and colors but where's the innovation? Nowhere to be found. Sure they're making big profits now but what about 5, 10, 20 years from now? What is the product line going to be? If people are already starting to realize how inane it is to buy the same product every year surely they won't be lining up to buy the 'new' version. Stevie Jobs is no more and in the future Apple will most likely be only a shell of its former self. If their future attempts at creating a fad fails, what then? You have all these companies like MS, Google, etc dumping billions and having failed attempts here and there while Apple just sits in pools of cash wishing they manage to create a new fad. Google is out there developing revolutionary internet with their fiber, MS trying to perfect motion sensing and like Gates said "spearheading the future of PC" - most see W8 as a joke but at its current stage this is only the infancy of what's to follow: far more efficient and productive personal computing. A new Windows 95 like success is on the horizon. A new revolution in internet is on the horizon.

G

[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]I've had this discussion with the editor (Chris) for some period of time, and it's only about web traffic - period. All of editors have either an iPhone, iPad or MacBook -> http://www.tomshardware.com/pictur [...] itors.html[/citation]
That's why I stopped visiting Tom's Hardware daily and I come by maybe once every week or two. And it's same bullshit as usual.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]bllue[/nom]You see Apple releasing the same product with minimal differences every year and nothing 'new' is ever developed, it's all difference sides and colors but where's the innovation? Nowhere to be found. Sure they're making big profits now but what about 5, 10, 20 years from now? What is the product line going to be?[/citation]

Did you know in 2007 they were going to release the iPad in 2010? Did you know in 2004 they were going to release the iPhone in 2007? Who knows what they're working on? How often must a company come up with a game-changing product? It's been 2 years since the first iPad, do they have to come up with such a product every 2 years? What does that say about Microsoft and Google? What were their game-changing products in the last 2 years or 5 years for that matter?

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Here we go again. Another pundit analyzing the performance of a piece of technology based on "points" rather than intended use. Where do these people come from?

I don't like touchscreens on my laptops and desktops, and I don't know anyone who does. The smudges are annoying and it's more ergonomic to use a mouse or trackpad. I don't want to reach up and poke at a screen especially when it's sitting far away from me. A mouse is more precise than a finger anyway. It appears Apple has done its homework here and checked to see what its customers expect. No need to drive up costs by adding hardware and software to support touch on platforms that traditionally have had no use for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS