Jun 15, 2023
Hi everyone.

While my laptop is connected to the AC adapter, my dGPU is limited to 50 watts and my CPU goes up to 80 watts momentarily and 45-50 watts under sustained load; And both of these are normal according to specs.

Going forward, when it's not connected to the AC, the dGPU is imited to 30 Watts and CPU to 25-30 Watts under sustained load (if I test CPU and dGPU separately). My problem was, and is, when the dGPU is under load and consumes 30 Watts stably, if my CPU power consumption goes beyond 12 Watts, the dGPU massively throttles, going from 30 Watts to 8, and it's memory clock going from 5000MHz to 405MHz, basically rendering it unusable, and this situation goes on for 4-6 seconds; At the same time, CPU can be seen throttling, say for example, suddenly dropping from 25 Watts to 8. But as I said, if I limit the CPU power to 12 Watts, nothing would throttle, but performance is garbage anyway because of CPU power being so low.

I know that laptops perform inferior while on battery, but come on, I don't think they can't provide more than 42 Watts combined, right? So I think it's a power delivery problem, as I troubleshooted NVIDIA drivers and that's not the issue. I even tested Linux drivers and still the same thing happens.

Thanks for any help in advance.

System specs:
Platform: MSI GF75 thin 10SCSR
CPU: Intel Core i7 10750H
GPUs: Intel UHD Graphics(iGPU)/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti(dGPU)
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. E17F4IMS.108
Battery: MS-17F4 Lithium Ion, 50 Wh

Jun 15, 2023
Actually gaming laptops have around 45-50 Whr battery so....this looks to be in specs, is battery easy accessible?
EDIT: found it: https://www.msibatterystore.com/msi-batteries/msi-gf75-thin-10scs-battery-replacement.htm
It is a 54Whr battery, the converssion is not perfect, you lose some watts there so you get 45Whr real usable power.
IMO I don't think battery capacity has anything to do with the rate of power delivery. If it's 45Wh for example, it would last 1 hour if you draw 45W constantly, or 30 minutes if you draw 90W constantly. So, how much power a battery can deliver at max, is a characteristic feature related to the battery technology, circuitry, etc. So all same-gen Lithium Ion batteries, for example, should have the same "maximum power delivery", roughly speaking; No matter the capacity (or at least with minimal contribution).