[SOLVED] insane temps on corsair h100i v2

jacobkindy

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
It all started when I ordered a 5 pack of cheap Chinese rgb fans to put in my pc, when swapping out all of the fans I had the radiator hanging down from the pump, I then put everything back in and immediately on boot I go on nzxt cam I see my cpu is going mental, hit 100C and turned off. I've tried everything, vertically mounting it horizontally mounting it having the rad upside down having the rad the right side up. I even took off the aio and let the air go to the top of the rad then put it back in. When I didn't have the aio installed I went to my old wraith prism. On windows start-up it was at about 50c and gaming never went above 75C. When i tried taking the prism off the cpu stuck to it and i bent some pins in the process, fixed it put it all back together with new thermal paste and clamped the aio tight. Upon bootup I went straight to BIOS where i had just cleared the cmos so I put xmp on and all of my fans to max, one thing to note is that all my fans are connected to a Chinese fan hub which is powered by something (4holes connected) I used the remote I got with these fans to turn up the speeds to max but idk. Boot into windows temps go straight to about 65-75C literally just booted in. I hop onto csgo and monitered the temp, it was at 30%usage and it went from 70 to 85 where I decided enough was enough. My aio should be sat at a maximum of 60c while gaming and while idle from 20-40c. Idk what the problem is tbh.

My cpu is the ryzen 7 2700x and my aio is the corsair h100i v2.

Solution
I think there's a problem with the AIO itself. Radiators take time to build up heat; if your radiator and the fluid inside is starting off at room temperature, it'll actually take a little time to heat up without any fans on it.

The quickness of the temperature increase with this AIO doesn't indicate a problem with the cooling of the radiator itself, but something going on with the transfer of heat from the CPU to the radiator. It sounds more like something's gone wrong with the pump or the mount while you were making these changes.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I think there's a problem with the AIO itself. Radiators take time to build up heat; if your radiator and the fluid inside is starting off at room temperature, it'll actually take a little time to heat up without any fans on it.

The quickness of the temperature increase with this AIO doesn't indicate a problem with the cooling of the radiator itself, but something going on with the transfer of heat from the CPU to the radiator. It sounds more like something's gone wrong with the pump or the mount while you were making these changes.

Solution

jacobkindy

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
I have taken the pump of many times, the mount however feels a bit loose but Corsair says this is normal and screwing it in bring it into the motherboard. It’s always been this way so I don’t think it’s a cause for concern.

Hi Guy's

The way I dealt with a loose backplate and the corsair standoffs was putting on nylon washers.
I took the backplate to a hardware store to find washers that would fit over the threaded pegs without any modification.
I think I used 2 on each peg.
On reinstall the standoffs would then meet the mobo and pull the backplate up tight.

When reassembled the thumbnuts didn't seem to bottom out any more and the pump head was tighter.

Low spec fans isn't helping either and the coolers age could also be in question also.

The H100iv2 I had on a 2600x was 4yrs old in Feb this year when it started having issue's most notable was temps shooting up to 81c in 1.5mins on a Aida64 Extreme Fpu test.
Cleaned Rad,fans and repasted had same issue.
Contaced Corsair tech support told them what was going on and what I had done to correct it they immediately said they would Rma.

Now the H100iv2 has been discontinued so expect something like the H100i pro xt if you go that route.

There is 1 advantage to that cooler.
The mount uses the Stock Amd retention brackets as long as you still have the 2 plastic parts that are on the front side of the mobo that goes with the backplate.

Good Luck.

TRENDING THREADS