Inside the iPad 3: Tearing Apart Apple's Latest Creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Accessibility to repairs is not required, because Apple expects their customers to ship their broken products to them or authorized dealerships, at the cost of an extra organ.

And that is why I shy away from locked-down products. If you aren't going to make it durable (glass screen *cough*), at least make it accessible.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]Competition in the technology department does amazing things. Now if only AMD would get their crap together[/citation]
Huh? AMD what? Kids, that brings me to my next topic . . . Just say no to crack!

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Accessibility to repairs is not required, because Apple expects their customers to ship their broken products to them or authorized dealerships, at the cost of an extra organ.And that is why I shy away from locked-down products. If you aren't going to make it durable (glass screen *cough*), at least make it accessible.[/citation]let me see...your TV is "open" is it? and what of your car stereo, etc., etc. Get real, it is a product.

classzero

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]let me see...your TV is "open" is it? and what of your car stereo, etc., etc. Get real, it is a product.[/citation]

Well said

G

Proprietary devices suck, in your car, and your living room....

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]usersname[/nom]let me see...your TV is "open" is it? and what of your car stereo, etc., etc. Get real, it is a product.[/citation]

A tv doesn't have a battery that needs to be replaced. Nor is it something that you carry around that could get dropped is it?

dr1337

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012

........I've repaired a number of TV's.................. and car stereos........... and etc.,etc get some skills man its a product.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Overpriced, limited, proprietary and behind times is what APPLE is.

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20123375-85/android-ice-cream-sandwich-versus-ios-5-killer-features/

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Tab54o[/nom]A tv doesn't have a battery that needs to be replaced. Nor is it something that you carry around that could get dropped is it?[/citation]Swap iPad for Walkman or laptop PC's and mobile phones. Certainly you could replace a battery but should you break the unit it is either unserviceable or a returns job. Most people, let's say 99.9% do not have the requisite engineering skills to repair any of their domestic appliances. Most parts are not even available to consumers. Warranties can be invalidated by DIY repairs. Products fail. Products get broken accidentally. Most people in most instances would either have to call in a service engineer or return an item for repair. People on Tom's who constantly pick at Apple should have a careful think about all the manufacturers and sources for all the products they buy.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
...9.7-inch Samsung-manufactured Retina Display...
first, their MBA ssd, now their new iPad's widely advertised "retina display"
When you call something "Resolutionary" and is, in fact, made by your main competitor is extremely ironic.
+100 to sammy

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]vider[/nom]Overpriced, limited, proprietary and behind times is what APPLE is.http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-2 [...] -features/[/citation]

Absolutely, because all the competition is sooooo far ahead...yeah...now about that bridge....

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]au_equus[/nom]first, their MBA ssd, now their new iPad's widely advertised "retina display"When you call something "Resolutionary" and is, in fact, made by your main competitor is extremely ironic.+100 to sammy[/citation]
Just because you make the raw ingredients that go into a product doesn't mean you know how to make a good product. Anyone can go to the grocery store and buy everything needed to create a 12 course dinner. Doesn't mean they can actually COOK that dinner.

Samsung provides tools. The same way Fender makes guitars that people like Hendrix or Clapton then used to make great music. Samsung is Fender. Apple is Hendrix. Both are responsible for making the final product, but Hendrix (Apple) is responsible for MOST of the end result.

Too bad Samsung doesn't know how to make a tablet despite being able to make the components that go into one. How about that just-announced (at MWC 2012) Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 with the same internals as last year, a case that's almost 2mm thicker and....wait for it.....an SD card slot. One year later and that's all you can bring Sammy?

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Just because you make the raw ingredients that go into a product doesn't mean you know how to make a good product. Anyone can go to the grocery store and buy everything needed to create a 12 course dinner. Doesn't mean they can actually COOK that dinner.Samsung provides tools. The same way Fender makes guitars that people like Hendrix or Clapton then used to make great music. Samsung is Fender. Apple is Hendrix. Both are responsible for making the final product, but Hendrix (Apple) is responsible for MOST of the end result.Too bad Samsung doesn't know how to make a tablet despite being able to make the components that go into one. How about that just-announced (at MWC 2012) Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 with the same internals as last year, a case that's almost 2mm thicker and....wait for it.....an SD card slot. One year later and that's all you can bring Sammy?[/citation]

Great analogy!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Very few tablets on the market have user-replaceable batteries. To do so makes the unit thicker and heavier.
[citation][nom]vider[/nom]Overpriced, limited, proprietary and behind times is what APPLE is.http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-2 [...] -features/[/citation]
Really? Show me a competing tablet with the same or better resolution (which is higher than my 24" Samsung). Show us another tablet with the horse power of an iPad2 or ipad3... none of them at this time do.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]soundping[/nom]Foxconn workers should throw these iPads out the windows instead of themselves.[/citation]
Especially since many of them are beautiful women. Asian women = Devine. Anyways, I thank them all for making a product I enjoy and I hope Foxconn continues to better compensate its employees for the excellent quality they produce.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
It's going to be silly in a decade when we have SOCs powering tablets that can run 4k displays that are the size of your thumb but still require book sized batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.