Inspiron 9100 hardisk speed question

hi all,
Why does the 9100 come with such SLOW rpm speed hardisks? 4400 vs the
normal 7200. Seems strange to me.....
Bobsen

7200 is not yet 'normal' on a laptop. By 4400, are you sure you don't mean
5400? The 'slow' laptop drives are 4200. The fast drives are 5400. 7200
laptop drives are starting to appear, but they are not yet common.

tom
"Bob Bobsen" <noneedtoknow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> hi all,
> Why does the 9100 come with such SLOW rpm speed hardisks? 4400 vs the
> normal 7200. Seems strange to me.....
> Bobsen

And unless you are using disk intensive operations, there won't be that
much of a speed difference. I went from a 4200 to a 7200 drive and the
speedup in most situations isn't noticeable. The extra space was the main
goal, so I'm not disappointed, but the processor upgrade from 1.8 to 2.6
made a much bigger difference.

--
Thomas M. Goethe

Bob Bobsen wrote:
> hi all,
> Why does the 9100 come with such SLOW rpm speed hardisks? 4400 vs the
> normal 7200. Seems strange to me.....
> Bobsen

AFIK, only Toshiba, Hitachi/IBM and Seagate make a 7200 rpm laptop
drive. Tom's Hardware
http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20031031/index.html
recently did a review on performance improvements with the 7200 Hitachi
vs 5400 and 4200 rpm Hitachi drives in the same family (IBM Travelstar
40GN is Hitachi).

For users faced with the choice between a standard 4200-rpm hard drive
and a faster 5400-rpm or even 7200-rpm model, we would recommend picking
the faster-turning drive. Although the battery life will be a few
minutes less, the performance increase more than outweighs this
relatively small downside. The mere fact that a notebook boots up faster
when equipped with a 5400-rpm drive justifies the higher price, in our
opinion.

Regarding noise levels, we could not determine any significant
differences between the different drives.

Price, however, is an entirely different matter. The Hitachi 7K60 is
about $60-$70 more expensive than a 5400-rpm hard drive with the same
capacity and identical cache size. When buying a built-to-order
notebook, the user should still consider whether to "save" a few hundred
megahertz on the CPU in order to "finance" the faster hard drive.

[end quote]

Thanks for the info guys. I talked to a very well informed rep who
laughingly told me it was a typo on their website (Denmark). I saved
some pretty good bucks just by talking to the rep vs just placing the
order on the web.
Regards,
Bobsen

inpiron 9100

4200rpm:
30, 40, 60 eller 80 GB 1 Ultra ATA 100-harddiske med
StrikeZoneTM -"støddæmper"

5400rpm
Sekundær 40 GB 5400 rpm Ultra ATA-harddisk til modulær medieplads

1 For hard drives, GB means 1 billion bytes; total accessible capacity
varies depending on operating environment.

> Thanks for the info guys. I talked to a very well informed rep who
> laughingly told me it was a typo on their website (Denmark). I saved
> some pretty good bucks just by talking to the rep vs just placing the
> order on the web.
> Regards,
> Bobsen

begin 666 bullet.gif