Question install windows 10 on new ssd but not formating secondary hard drive files such as D,E,F,G folder(except local C drive windows folder)

M Sajid

Commendable
Mar 3, 2019
i bought a new adata 240gb ssd,i want to install windows 10 on it but i have a 1tb hard drive .This drive has C,D,E,F,G folder on it.my windows is on local c drive.Question is how can i install windows without formating my D,E,F,G folders?I have no problem if c drive formet,but i want to access D,E,F,G folder after windows setup because i have many games,software,files,movie on those folder.please help me by full detail.

After installing the SSD and formatting it, you'll have a new drive letter for it. This will not alter the data on the HDD. If you install Windows on the SSD and then boot from it, the SSD will become the C: drive and you'll have access to all the partitions on the HDD. However understand that almost all programs installed on the HDD will have to be reinstalled on the SSD.

Reactions: M Sajid

Colif

Win 11 Master
i bought a new adata 240gb ssd,i want to install windows 10 on it but i have a 1tb hard drive .This drive has C,D,E,F,G folder on it.my windows is on local c drive.Question is how can i install windows without formating my D,E,F,G folders?I have no problem if c drive formet,but i want to access D,E,F,G folder after windows setup because i have many games,software,files,movie on those folder.please help me by full detail.

remove the other hdd from PC when you install win 10 on SSD, for 2 reasons.

1. if you leave the hdd in, the windows installer will see the boot partition on the hdd and not create one on ssd. This means if you ever remove the hdd, the ssd won't be able to boot.
  2. other reason to do that is since both installs are win 10, the installer would change the boot files on the hdd to point at the ssd.. if you ever tried to boot the install on the hdd it wouldn't work. The boot loader for win 10 isn't written to allow for 2 win 10 installs at same time (okay, enterprise versions might be able to do it, but not home/pro)
ONce you know ssd works by itself, reattach the hdd and make sure its not added to boot order. Then you can use all the files on the hdd at leisure, will need to take ownership but windows makes that easy the 1st time you try to access the old folders.

You can always mark the old windows folder on hdd as windows.old and run Disk cleanup to delete any old windows files, at a later time.