Installation Help!!!???

G

Ive recently just bought a SCSI CD burner and also a SCSI card to run the burner off!. but my question is, how do i install them???. My CD drive is IDE, so i cant exactly use the SCSI cable to connect both IDE and SCSI on the same cable that would lead into both the Burner & CD drive because of the different interface connections!.. the only thing i can think of possibly doing is installing the SCSI card onto the board, then just run the SCSI cable straight from the card to the Burner!? .. would that work!. or do i need both the units connected with the 1 cable, as you would if it were from IDE to IDE ??? .. and if so!.. what should the jumper settings bee on the back of the burner ( which is 2nd hand by the way, so i have no manual )

Someone please help!

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
umm all scsi devices have to be connected to the scsi card (host adapter) that is plugged into your motherboard. the ide devices have to be connected directly to the motherboard's ide slot. the jumper settings are different for all devices. look up the model number at the manufacturer's web site.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wooo, Panic Attack?

LOL!

Install the SCSI card. Check for driver and firmware updates. Download the manual for the card, so you'll understand how to use the SCSI BIOS on the card, which will identify the CD-ROM once it is installed ... and how the cable or device should be set for termination.

Go the manufacturer's website for the CD-ROM, to look up the jumper settings, and again, look for a driver and firmware update.

Once you've done all that, connect the CD-ROM to the proper connector on the new card ... reboot, and add updates as needed.

Don't connect a SCSI device on an IDE cable, or vice versa.

If you need help locating drivers, or finding information on the correct settings for the card or optical device, you'll need to supply more information, such as the model and brand of the new components, and your OS version. But you can probably do all of that yourself, with a good search engine and some patience. Otherwise ... you know where to find us!

Good luck!

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

<font color=purple>"Have you noticed how much they look like orchids? Lovely!"</font color=purple>

G

Picture the SCSI as it's own bus separate from the PCI bus. There must be a device on each of the SCSI cable. Only SCSI devices are allowed. The last device on each of the cable must be terminated. If you only have two devices such as the controller and the cd-rw, the controller will probably automatically handle termination and the cd-rw probably has a jumper for enabling termination, which should be enabled.

*controller----stub----stub----cdrw*

* represents termination. and of course you have plug in the controller and install drivers so that those two buses can work together. And as mentioned your IDE devices go through a differt connection on the motherboard generally(using a different type cable entirely).

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***