Question Installed a new stock cooler, now my computer won't boot ?

itachixg

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
really weird problem im having maybe you can help me solve the case

specs :
b450- f rog strix
gtx 2070 Super
Ryzen 5 3600
1gb ssd
psu 600w corsair

everything powers on because of the rgb ( motherboard,keyboard,mouse,ram, cpu,gpu) but i get only a black screen not even a bios logo.

I tested another parts and the problem was the motherboard , already tried the cmos battery thing and cleaning the ram ports checked the cpu pins and looks alrigth.

the only clue i have is when i finished installing the new heatsink i turned on the computer and:

First time: after a while it displayed the bios logo then froze.

Second time: it actually managed to get into Windows normally, then after some minutes it froze again and after that I got only a black screen anytime i tried to boot up the system.

specs :
b450- f rog strix
gtx 2070 Super
Ryzen 5 3600
1gb ssd
psu 600w corsair

everything powers on because of the rgb ( motherboard,keyboard,mouse,ram, cpu,gpu) but i get only a black screen not even a bios logo.

I tested another parts and the problem was the motherboard , already tried the cmos battery thing and cleaning the ram ports checked the cpu pins and looks alrigth.

the only clue i have is when i finished installing the new heatsink i turned on the computer and:

Second time: it actually managed to get into Windows normally, then after some minutes it froze again and after that I got only a black screen anytime i tried to boot up the system.
have you tried to do minimal boot by just taking everything off but ram (use stick on slot 2 and 4 if its 1 pair), boot drive, gpu, mouse and keyboard?

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015

specs :
b450- f rog strix
gtx 2070 Super
Ryzen 5 3600
1gb ssd
psu 600w corsair

RGB lighting does not indicate the machine is functioning. Something happened when you installed the cooler. Go over your installation again.

Reactions: KyaraM

itachixg

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
have you tried to do minimal boot by just taking everything off but ram (use stick on slot 2 and 4 if its 1 pair), boot drive, gpu, mouse and keyboard?
yeah i only put 1 stick of ram boot only cpu and gpu and nothing , like i said i tested the other parts on another mb well it was more or less the same model and it worked

i did a closer check on the motherboard compare to another same model to check damage and found this: ( my mb its on the left )
https://ibb.co/8cxfjYd
that black thing ( dont know what it is or how its called ) ..not sure if its just bent or broken , ill admit i maybe put to much pressure mounting the heatsink so the damage has to be in that small area

itachixg

Honorable
Jan 30, 2017
RGB lighting does not indicate the machine is functioning. Something happened when you installed the cooler. Go over your installation again.

well i know in some cases that even the mouse and the keyboard wont power up the rgb like i said i tested the parts on a similar motherboard with no problems
i did a closer check on the motherboard compare to another same model to check damage and found this: ( my mb its on the left )
that black thing ( dont know what it is or how its called ) ..not sure if its just bent or broken , i maybe put to much pressure mounting the heatsink that must cause some kind of damage to the mb particulary in that small area between the cpu socket .

yeah i only put 1 stick of ram boot only cpu and gpu and nothing , like i said i tested the other parts on another mb well it was more or less the same model and it worked

that black thing ( dont know what it is or how its called ) ..not sure if its just bent or broken , ill admit i maybe put to much pressure mounting the heatsink so the damage has to be in that small area
oof that could be the cause..

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
well i know in some cases that even the mouse and the keyboard wont power up the rgb like i said i tested the parts on a similar motherboard with no problems
that black thing ( dont know what it is or how its called ) ..not sure if its just bent or broken , i maybe put to much pressure mounting the heatsink that must cause some kind of damage to the mb particulary in that small area between the cpu socket .
Mounting a cooler you tighten all 4 screws evenly in sequennce maybe for times. You do not need to over torque them or it may cause damage to the socket killing the motherboard. Live and learn. :)

TRENDING THREADS