[SOLVED] Installed M.2 drive (Adata 8200 Pro) for the first time and running into issues. PC won't boot into BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2021
So I have attempted to install a new M.2 drive (Adata 8200 Pro) into my Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO motherboard. When I first installed it I was able to open up my BIOS and see the SSD and also could install Windows onto it via the usual USB method. However after installing Windows and attempting to reboot the PC, my PC seemingly refuses to go to BIOS.

I've attempted to reset the mobo by taking out the battery but still not. When I was first able to get on the BIOS after first installing Windows I saw the two boot options. When I tried to open Windows from #2 it doesn't go to the OS but if I select the 'Windows Boot Manager' option it goes to the Windows I installed. I'm a bit confused as to why I see this and whether I've installed it wrong?

My main issue now is that whenever I turn on my PC with the M.2 SSD installed it now never goes to BIOS. I have 2 smaller SATA SSDs and 1 HDD. This issue happens whether or not they are also installed in the PC, however if I install these drives but take out the new M.2 SSD my PC boots perfectly normal and always goes to BIOS. This happens whether I use the M2A or M2M slot.

Anyone got an idea of what my issue may be and if it's at all linked to having 2 different boot options for the M.2 drive?

Solution
So I've changed the GPU PCIE slot and managed to boot up to BIOS with the m.2 installed. However even after redoing the installation of Windows from a usb with it being the only drive in I still have two boot options:

Windows Boot Manager (Adata SX8200PNP)
Adata SX8200PNP

Is this correct or has something gone wrong again?
That is correct, and Windows Boot Manager is what you should select as first in the boot order.
As long as it actually boots with one and only one drive connected, all is good.

USAFRet

Titan
Your problem with the 2x options to boot from is due to having your old drive still connected when you installed the OS on your new SSD.

Strongly recommend you redo that install on the SSD.
This time, with ONLY that one connected.

Reactions: MobileChicane
Jan 14, 2021
Your problem with the 2x options to boot from is due to having your old drive still connected when you installed the OS on your new SSD.

Strongly recommend you redo that install on the SSD.
This time, with ONLY that one connected.

The issue is that my PC never goes to BIOS now whenever the M.2 SSD is installed. This happens whether or not I have the other drives in do you know what the reason for that could be?

Jan 14, 2021
So I've changed the GPU PCIE slot and managed to boot up to BIOS with the m.2 installed. However even after redoing the installation of Windows from a usb with it being the only drive in I still have two boot options:

Adata SX8200PNP

USAFRet

Titan

Adata SX8200PNP

That is correct, and Windows Boot Manager is what you should select as first in the boot order.
As long as it actually boots with one and only one drive connected, all is good.

Solution

bamainark

Distinguished
May 6, 2012
Stumbled across this topic. I am experiencing the same thing. Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi. Board is not new but I was basically redoing a PC I acquired from my son.(that I built for him summer 2019). I was using a brand new Adata SX8200 Pro. Board initially worked without issues. I installed Win10 fine and was adding other utility software, etc and then bam......nothing. Would not Post. I accomplished all kind of troubleshooting from Bios downgrades, CMOS Clear, etc. I got down to basically looking at the drive itself. Was even using the iGPU. I began swapping NVMe drives. Every other drive works fine except for the SX8200. I tried another brand new one. Bought them together. Same thing. Tried a different sized SX8200. Same. I tried like 5 or 6 different M.2 drives and the SX8200 were the only ones to see this issue.

During my troubleshooting at one point it seemed to fix itself. Put that system away for a few hours and then boom......happened again. For some reason these specific M.2 drives are having issues with "some" motherboards. I even tried it in the M2B slot and same Post failure.

So you're not alone. This system works fine with any other M.2 drive installed.

To update this post I'd like to add the issue I was seeing was not an OS booting issue but a Bios POST issue. These SX8200 drives caused a fault during Post for it to fail hard. I'm assuming this is the same as what the OP was seeing when he said wouldn't go into the Bios. This board has Diag LEDs for CPU, VGA, DRAM and Boot that light up during Post. When the issue is happening the Diag light stops on DRAM and goes no further. A normal boot cycle the lights will cycle CPU, DRAM, VGA and then Boot until it finds a boot loader or stops at Boot if no boot loader is found.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.