[SOLVED] Installed new GPU, System BLACK SCREEN on boot

Apr 9, 2020
Hi guys,

thanks for taking the time to view this thread.
I just installed a gtx 2060 from a gtx 970 and when I boot the screen just black. It’s like my monitor doesn’t recognise the GPU.

I installed my old GPU and now I’m getting the same issue. Black screen even though the lights are on and the fans moving.

HELP! Thanks

Specs:
CPU:Ryzen 1600
GPU: 970 to 2060
PSU: 750 W
RAM: Corsair 16gb
MOBO: B350 Tomahawk

Reactions: Mikeov
Solution
After reinstalling with my old graphics card things seem to be going well. My new graphics card is a 1650 super and old one was a 1050. my power supply is a RD450-2Sb
I would find it very likely a 450W supply is unable to handle the load. Also, a 1650 super consumes significantly more power than a 1060 (I thought it was a 1060 from an earlier post). It isn't that this is a lot of power, but the rest of the system is also consuming power, and I would bet the combination with the 1650 super exceeds the power supply's ability...the old video would have been running near the upper limits of a 450W supply.
Apr 9, 2020
monitor connect to the gpu?
got the pcie power cable to the gpu?

Hi, thank you so much for replying.

So I spent all day troubleshooting the issue.
The GPU is fitted correctly. When I boot up the system the screen goes to the windows with the spinning dots. It then goes completely black. So what I did was turned if off and on three times to reboot into safemode.
In safemode I ran DDU and removed all drivers.
I exited safemode and performed a clean boot.
My screen did not turn black and I was able to login without any problems.
However when I logged in, after a few minutes randomly the screen went black.
So what i've heard is windows does automatic driver installations and that is making my screen black.
I went into devices in control panel and disabled automatic driver, I also went in group policy and disabled automatic driver install and that fixed the problem of the black screens.
However because its disabled I cannot install my graphics card driver, and when I enable the option, the screen goes black.

I recommend to put the old video card back in, boot up. Download the future driver:
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Now uninstall the current driver. Shutdown, add the new video card, boot. I suspect it won't be a black screen anymore, but will be a lower resolution which is a pain. Install the new driver you've already downloaded, reboot, set new resolution.

Video cards have a number of fallback VESA modes even if there is no specific video driver. These tend to work even if previous drivers interfere with newer hardware. Think of pulling the old driver before installing the new video as a low resolution universal adapter mode.

Apr 9, 2020
I recommend to put the old video card back in, boot up. Download the future driver:

Now uninstall the current driver. Shutdown, add the new video card, boot. I suspect it won't be a black screen anymore, but will be a lower resolution which is a pain. Install the new driver you've already downloaded, reboot, set new resolution.

Video cards have a number of fallback VESA modes even if there is no specific video driver. These tend to work even if previous drivers interfere with newer hardware. Think of pulling the old driver before installing the new video as a low resolution universal adapter mode.

Thanks for the reply everyone,

Yes when I uninstall the drivers and reboot with my new graphics and install the driver the screen turns black. When I follow this video and stop windows driver intsalls it fixes my problem temporarily.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B5tsHSbXe8

However when I enable it or connect my system to the internet it goes black again.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply everyone,

Yes when I uninstall the drivers and reboot with my new graphics and install the driver the screen turns black. When I follow this video and stop windows driver intsalls it fixes my problem temporarily.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B5tsHSbXe8

However when I enable it or connect my system to the internet it goes black again.

What kind of video cable do you use, and are there any adapters? Did you directly install the driver from the NVIDIA web site? Once the driver goes in, do you have time before any failure where you can manually adjust resolution?

Apr 10, 2020
we in this together xD. I tried restore and for some reason that worked, but for like only a few hours until everything came crashing down, now when I try to restore again it doesn't work. Im trying to figure it out now. All and any help is appreciated everyone, thank you.

Apr 9, 2020
I have made no progress. I can't even boot it up in safe mode anymore.

When I do install the driver I do have time but its not long. Its not the nvidia drivers that are causing it. It is the windows drivers for the GPU. Once they install my screen goes black. I think it is a faulty GPU. I use a HDMI cable.

Apr 9, 2020
What kind of video cable do you use, and are there any adapters? Did you directly install the driver from the NVIDIA web site? Once the driver goes in, do you have time before any failure where you can manually adjust resolution?

I use a HDMI cable. I install the drivers directly from the website. The driver being installed or not doesnt change whether my screen stays on or goes black. Its simply the windows drivers that are making my screen go black.

Apr 10, 2020
When I do install the driver I do have time but its not long. Its not the nvidia drivers that are causing it. It is the windows drivers for the GPU. Once they install my screen goes black. I think it is a faulty GPU. I use a HDMI cable.
Is there a way to disable the windows drivers from command line?

I use a HDMI cable. I install the drivers directly from the website. The driver being installed or not doesnt change whether my screen stays on or goes black. Its simply the windows drivers that are making my screen go black.

Something to consider is that upon mode change to anything but the lowest of settings, power consumption goes up. Others have looked at the 750w power supply, and I am beginning to think that perhaps this is an issue. Power supplies which are otherwise functional can degrade over time, e.g., after 10 years many power supplies become marginal in their regulation even though they appear to otherwise work (and have worked for years). Do you have an alternate supply, preferably rated beyond 750w, which you can test? Or even a separate power supply you can right to run the PCIe card extra power?

Apr 9, 2020
Something to consider is that upon mode change to anything but the lowest of settings, power consumption goes up. Others have looked at the 750w power supply, and I am beginning to think that perhaps this is an issue. Power supplies which are otherwise functional can degrade over time, e.g., after 10 years many power supplies become marginal in their regulation even though they appear to otherwise work (and have worked for years). Do you have an alternate supply, preferably rated beyond 750w, which you can test? Or even a separate power supply you can right to run the PCIe card extra power?

I've only had this power supply for about two years. Brand new. Unfortunately I do not have a power supply besides this.

Apr 10, 2020
There is, not on command line, but on that video I sent.
I reinstalled windows and I was able to get back in, internet works, but my download speed is now horrible slow, we are talking .31/KB/sec. All my apps and files were deleted so have to reinstall Vmware and some apps. Mainly now just concerned on why the download speed is so horribly slow.

Sean Green

Prominent
Feb 20, 2020
I reinstalled windows and I was able to get back in, internet works, but my download speed is now horrible slow, we are talking .31/KB/sec. All my apps and files were deleted so have to reinstall Vmware and some apps. Mainly now just concerned on why the download speed is so horribly slow.
Go to your motherboards website and download the drivers for LAN and wifi

Apr 10, 2020
Perhaps the power supply, even if good, is not enough for that particular video card.
EDIT: A 1060 does not use much power, but perhaps the power must be more stable versus the old card.
After reinstalling with my old graphics card things seem to be going well. My new graphics card is a 1650 super and old one was a 1050. my power supply is a RD450-2Sb

TRENDING THREADS