[SOLVED] Installing 64-bit Win XP on 32-bit T-61 Thinkpad? Bios problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2021
Hi, everybody. I'm a know-nothing, desperate for some help.

I had understood that Windows XP 64-bit could be installed on a 32-bit Thinkpad T-61.

So, I bought a 500GB drive intending to put Windows XP 64-bit into my T61 (32-bit) 15.4" notebook. In starting the installation, it comes to the point where it can't "see" the HD. The instructions that came with the 500GB blank hard drive say: "If your laptop comes with a Secure Boot option in the BIOS, go into the BIOS setup, look for Secure Boot under the Boot or Security tabs in the BIOS. You will need to disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Support to allow the new HD to be recognized."

I went into the BIOS setup, and I can't find anything in there that looks like what the instructions are talking about. And that's assuming that the problem I have could be solved by following those instructions.

I'm attaching pics below of my BIOS setup. If anyone could help me out and tell me what I'm doing, and what I need to do so that my T61 32-bit can "see" the new blank 500GB HD during install of Win XP 64-bit, I would be much obliged.

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZvQmTXZUTrbLHWrtBXeeQsBbVddTRXWMSqy

I also wondered if Middleton's BIOS could do the job, while also unlocking other features:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_vN0kCqxdw

However, when I downloaded that and tried to install it, it said my existing BIOS is more advanced than the one it wants to install. It asked if I wanted to overwrite the current one, I said no, afraid to blow up my laptop. Maybe I should have said Yes?

Have looked for possibly more updated BIOS versions for my T-61 32-bit 15.4" notebook at Lenovo, seems they don't "support" it at all any more, not even to the extent of hosting the BIOS versions for download.

I'm totally lost in space, would appreciate any help

Thank you.

Solution
2nd the above. It's also important to keep in mind that XP 64-bit is not as much XP as it is server/workstation 2003 with the XP UI nailed on. There were only a VERY few makes/models of both desktop and laptop that had drivers available. And given that a great number of the software titles available in that era wouldn't run on XP 64, and that Microsoft dropped all XP support years ago, it doesn't make any sense to try and get it running today.
2nd the above. It's also important to keep in mind that XP 64-bit is not as much XP as it is server/workstation 2003 with the XP UI nailed on. There were only a VERY few makes/models of both desktop and laptop that had drivers available. And given that a great number of the software titles available in that era wouldn't run on XP 64, and that Microsoft dropped all XP support years ago, it doesn't make any sense to try and get it running today.

Solution
Jun 15, 2021
I need XP 64-bit. I have Win7 and it is not useable for the project in question. I have to find out how to install XP 64-bit in this T61 32-bit machine. I need to fix the BIOS, or do something so the installation CD can "see" the hard drive. Thanks.

Hi, everybody. I'm a know-nothing, desperate for some help.

I had understood that Windows XP 64-bit could be installed on a 32-bit Thinkpad T-61.

So, I bought a 500GB drive intending to put Windows XP 64-bit into my T61 (32-bit) 15.4" notebook. In starting the installation, it comes to the point where it can't "see" the HD. The instructions that came with the 500GB blank hard drive say: "If your laptop comes with a Secure Boot option in the BIOS, go into the BIOS setup, look for Secure Boot under the Boot or Security tabs in the BIOS. You will need to disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Support to allow the new HD to be recognized."

I went into the BIOS setup, and I can't find anything in there that looks like what the instructions are talking about. And that's assuming that the problem I have could be solved by following those instructions.

I'm attaching pics below of my BIOS setup. If anyone could help me out and tell me what I'm doing, and what I need to do so that my T61 32-bit can "see" the new blank 500GB HD during install of Win XP 64-bit, I would be much obliged.

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZvQmTXZUTrbLHWrtBXeeQsBbVddTRXWMSqy

I also wondered if Middleton's BIOS could do the job, while also unlocking other features:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_vN0kCqxdw

However, when I downloaded that and tried to install it, it said my existing BIOS is more advanced than the one it wants to install. It asked if I wanted to overwrite the current one, I said no, afraid to blow up my laptop. Maybe I should have said Yes?

Have looked for possibly more updated BIOS versions for my T-61 32-bit 15.4" notebook at Lenovo, seems they don't "support" it at all any more, not even to the extent of hosting the BIOS versions for download.

I'm totally lost in space, would appreciate any help

Thank you.

If the laptop only has a 32 bit capable CPU, then you won't be able to run a 64 bit OS on it.

Where did you find the info that you can install it?

If the laptop only has a 32 bit capable CPU, then you won't be able to run a 64 bit OS on it.

The T61 is actually 64-bit (Intel T7300 Core 2 Duo). However, XP 64 doesn't make any sense in today's world. There's no real reason that Windows 7 cannot be used, other than the OP makes vague claims that it isn't suitable.

Jun 15, 2021

Hi. Haven't got the link right now, but I had read that only 32-bit Thinkpad T-60 and T-61 are capable of running 64-bit OS. In fact, I have 64-bit XP on a 14" T-61 (which is 64-bit), but I need it on my 15.4" T-61, which is 32-bit. I just find a way to make the OS see the HD during installation.

Yesterday, I emptied out the 32-bit HD and tried to do the Middleton's Bios in desperation to see if that would make any difference. Maybe I did it wrong, but so far, it didn't help. I've there installed a 32-bit XP on the 500GB my 15.4" T61 until I find out how to install the 64-bit XP on it.

Jun 15, 2021
The T61 is actually 64-bit (Intel T7300 Core 2 Duo). However, XP 64 doesn't make any sense in today's world. There's no real reason that Windows 7 cannot be used, other than the OP makes vague claims that it isn't suitable.

Hi. I don't like Windows 7. And, it won't run some important programs I have, on which I can't get upgrades. CrazyTalk 6 (character animator), for example, won't install properly in Windows 7, and there are others.

Also, can't use traditional MovieMaker, and I have a huge unfinished project putting subtitles on translated videos in moviemaker in XP Pro. Moviemaker in Win7 doesm't work the same way at all.

I need to stick to what I've been using, so I need a nice, solid, fast XP, and the "feel" of the 64-bit XP in my 64-bit 14" Thinkpad is really nice, I just can't easily read the screen, I'm very short-sighted, so I'm dreaming of getting the same feel in the 15.4" with the bigger screen.

Any help will be appreciated, if you can figure out how I can make the 64-bit XP OS see the HD in my 32-bit T-61 Thinkpad 15.4".

CrazyTalk 6 is at least 11-12 years old. It's WAY past time to update to something more modern. In addition there are far more capable programs out there than the built-in Moviemaker. Bottom line is that you are approaching things from the wrong angle. You are very much unlikely to ever get XP 64 running on that Thinkpad. But, as you seem to be stuck in your ways, I'm done here.

Hi. Haven't got the link right now, but I had read that only 32-bit Thinkpad T-60 and T-61 are capable of running 64-bit OS. In fact, I have 64-bit XP on a 14" T-61 (which is 64-bit), but I need it on my 15.4" T-61, which is 32-bit. I just find a way to make the OS see the HD during installation.

Yesterday, I emptied out the 32-bit HD and tried to do the Middleton's Bios in desperation to see if that would make any difference. Maybe I did it wrong, but so far, it didn't help. I've there installed a 32-bit XP on the 500GB my 15.4" T61 until I find out how to install the 64-bit XP on it.

How much RAM do you have in the system? If it's 4GB or less then don't bother with the 64 bit version. If the CPU is actually 32 bit ( you keep saying it's 32 bit but maybe you are not talking about the right thing there) it won't run a 64 bit operating system.

Status
Not open for further replies.