Question Installing a Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler in a Asus TUF Gaming X570 motherboard

drunk_cajpm

Reputable
Dec 9, 2019
Hi everyone!

I'm building my first pc and I have a question regarding installing the cpu cooler (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition) to the motherboard (Asus TUF Gaming X570 motherboard). I'm using a Ryzen 3600X CPU.

Attached image: backplates & screws

The motherboard already comes with a backplate (A in attached image) and according to the instructions (and some searching) it shouldn't be removed because it provides support against warping of the motherboard.

However, I can't use any of the screws/standoffs provided with the cooler together with the backplate, as they don't fit. The ones for AM4 (C in attached image) don't have protruding thread so they can't be used with the backplate. The other screws included in the box (D in attached image) don't fit as they are too small to screw in the backplate bolts (according to the manual these are for motherboards for Intel CPUs).

According to this thread, everything should be included in the 212 black edition, so obviously I'm missing something here: Should I use the plastic backplate included with the cooler at all (B in attached image)? And if yes, how, without removing the motherboard backplate? Or should I get any additional threaded stand offs?

Thanks a lot for your answers!
John

Last edited:
Reactions: deepdish

drunk_cajpm

Reputable
Dec 9, 2019
Do not remove the backplate, just the two brackets on the motherboard so you can attach the 4 plastic spacers, then the mounting plate which came with the cooler. Take a look at this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO-V8E9MIBg&t=618s

Thank you very much for your reply @deepdish ! But I still don't know how to do that. If I add the plastic backplate that came with the cooler underneath the motherboard's backplate, then the plastic backplate's screws are short and can't reach the front side of the motherboard. As a result, I can't use the AM4 standoffs required to mount the cooler. In the video, he mounts the cooler included with the cpu. I have already removed the two brackets. By plastic spacers you mean the things that secure the screws to the plastic backplate? I already added these but since I don't know how to install the plastic backplate I'm still stuck..

drunk_cajpm

Reputable
Dec 9, 2019
Anyone else having a similar problem? Seems a bit strange that I can't find any solution online. Cooler Master sells an upgrade kit shown in this video:

The only thing I seem to need from this kit are the screws. But I'm not sure if they 're the correct size...

drunk_cajpm

Reputable
Dec 9, 2019
I found the answer elsewhere, the part of not removing the backplate in the manual refers to the AMD stock coolers (and maybe some other coolers). So I removed the stock backplate and added the one provided with Hyper 212 cooler and all works perfectly.

TRENDING THREADS