Question Installing a fresh Windows 11 to replace the pre-installed one ?

May 16, 2023
I have an HP Envy pre-rebuilt system. It had Windows 11 Home pre-installed on a 1TB NVMe M.2 drive. So the question is, can I remove that drive completely, pop in a brand new one, and do a fresh install from my USB drive Windows 11 media that I created? I extracted the original product key. So can I just use that? Will I lose any functionality from the HP system?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you can do it easy enough. what you'd lose is whatever bloatware HP installed when it left their shop. you'll have to look and see what is there to decide if you need it or not. if you don't need that stuff, then you'll never miss it.

if you do want some of it, then you'll have to look and see if you can download it separately to install later.

personally i don't even turn on a new laptop until it has a install usb in it. i don't even know nor care what bloat is there. i start with a fresh install and put what i want on it. i have yet to run across anything preinstalled that i needed to run the laptop

Reactions: zoldos
May 16, 2023
you can do it easy enough. what you'd lose is whatever bloatware HP installed when it left their shop. you'll have to look and see what is there to decide if you need it or not. if you don't need that stuff, then you'll never miss it.

if you do want some of it, then you'll have to look and see if you can download it separately to install later.

personally i don't even turn on a new laptop until it has a install usb in it. i don't even know nor care what bloat is there. i start with a fresh install and put what i want on it. i have yet to run across anything preinstalled that i needed to run the laptop
Nice. That's what I figured. It is FULL of superfluous HP junk. lol

USAFRet

Titan
I want to make the current (and slower) 1TB NVMe as secondary storage, and then put in a 2TB 980 Pro Samsung Gen 4 for the system drive. :)
No problem, then.

Be sure to gather any hardware specific drivers you might need, and go for it.

This is for Win 10, but 99% the same:

Reactions: zoldos
May 16, 2023
No problem, then.

Be sure to gather any hardware specific drivers you might need, and go for it.

This is for Win 10, but 99% the same:

Cool, thanks! I downloaded and created a Windows 11 install media on my USB drive. :D