[SOLVED] Installing an new SSD drive into my desktop?

Bongo82

Honorable
Apr 14, 2014
www.cosmiccreations.space
Hi,

So I'm looking to upgrade my desktop to a SSD drive. I'm a novice at dealing with the insides of computers so coming on here to make sure I purchase the correct SSD and if I need anything extra like adaptors, cables etc.

My mother board is Gigabyte Motherboard GA-78LMT-USB3. My current harddrive is 2TB with only around 1TB being used. I want an SSD for loading the OS, Adobe programs, Music Programs quicker.

Should I buy one with Windows 10 already installed on it or is that handy enough to do?

I was also watcing a few videos about cloning your drive to a new drive then just using your old hdd as a normal hard drive just for storage.

Any recommendations on what SSD I should go for?

Some pictures of the setup.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kxynw70epu508vf/AAAmDc-K2Go2hcWJwJYiYcfca?dl=0

Solution
No, that is not really what you need.

Look at the current power supply, and the cables coming from it.
There should be one or more unused SATA power connections. The flat black thing.
I'd recommend a Crucial MX500 in 2.5" form, SATAIII in your desired capacity.

MX500 1 TB 2.5" SATA drives are about $105 last time I bought one, with 500 GB drives about $65 or so; they do not come with WIndows preinstalled on them. As your existing drive is already using 1 TB of space, probably the best solution short of buying a 2 TB MX500 for $224 for ease of cloning straight to it is to do a fresh install of OS and and desired apps to the new SSD, back up desired data files from existing drive to an external drive, then quick format the old drive.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Should I buy one with Windows 10 already installed on it
You can't do this. And if it's from some random online seller, I wouldn't. You can install your own very easily through this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

I was also watcing a few videos about cloning your drive to a new drive then just using your old hdd as a normal hard drive just for storage.
For cloning, USAFret's advice is solid: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cloning-of-hdd.3624189/ .

Any recommendations on what SSD I should go for?
For yourself, any decent quality 2.5" SATA SSD. As above states, the Crucial MX or the Samsung 860 EVO are great options that are often recommended.

USAFRet

Titan
How much space "exactly" is consumed on your current drive?
"around 1TB" is not close enuff.

If it is under 800GB, or you can get to that point, you migrate the whole thing to a new 1TB SSD.
Samsung 860 EVO or Crucial MX500 are the default choices.

The migration process is pretty easy. We can go into detail on that later.

USAFRet

Titan
I'll probably get a 500gb one so. My plan was to install new OS on SDD. I have a 1TB external drive I can back up important files. Then I can wipe my 2TB internal current drive and use it for storage.

Unless there's a more efficient way to do it.
OK, that works.

USAFRet

Titan
Would this be what I'm looking for I do have a female 4 pronged cable spare.
conn_sata.gif

Data
connector_sata.png

Power
connector_mbpow_sata.png

Reactions: PC Tailor

USAFRet

Titan
I did have the black cable connected last night, but Im guessing i still need another blue cable like in the video to connect to motherboard would that be correct.

The black cable on it's own wasn't showing up in my drives.
Yes.
The black cable is Power from the PSU.
The blue cable would be Data, connected to a SATA port on the motherboard.

You need both.