Installing new hard drive

G

Hi I'am going to replace my hold harddrive with a Ibm and don't whant to re-install soundcard, diretx.... So my question is: once I have installed win98 on the new drive can I transfer the all the data from my old driver on to the new Ibm and in that way make all my hardware components work as they did before with out re-installing?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MicheV on 04/06/01 08:45 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think you can, as long as the data transfer is clean... anyway, you can try, what do you have got to lose? If it doesn't work all you can do is to reinstall Windows, wich you would do anyway.

-------------
This site is cool.

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You are going to want to get Norton Ghost 2001 or Drive Image 4.0 to do the copy/image. From what I gathered you want to install windows first and just copy over all the settings, drivers, and programs. I think it is going to be easier to just do an image of he old over to the new with a third party program.

Hope that gives you an idea ....

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>

G

Yes, you got it right:)Where can I get Norton Ghost 2001 and how does it work? New to this kinda thing...

BrainStorm

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
No, you cant just copy Win32 installed application from an installation to another, you will miss important registry entry and it will not work for the majority of them. Like the others said, go with Norton Ghost and copy the entire partition as an image then on the new one.

It's better to be rich and healthy than poor and sick!

icxcnika

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2001
The way I'd do it is actually keep BOTH Hard drives mounted in there. Then you don't have to woory about transfering SYS drivers which can be a trick thing. You'll also get more HD Space from it. But don't trust these guys about driver transfer; I tried it myself and it doesn't work!