Installing the Cooler Master Hyper 212+

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

varis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
LOL - I just googled for a few more installations and figured out the clips go to the SIDE! :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: So - you insert the metal clips to the groove at the side of the heatsink, and just trap the holes on the fan with the little hooks that hang over the front of the heatsink. Really should go into the guides - there's an image about that in the manual too, but it's way too small and unclear. I took plenty of photos for posterity.

When you know how to install them, the clips are actually quite nifty. The 2 ridges on each clip can be even used to hold fan cables etc in place - it is quite a convincing system right now. But I still think I'm going to secure the fan with some additional garden wire if this installation will be permanent.

Still not sure at all the hsf+cpu are mating properly, and how to adjust pressure. I did turn the 4 mounting screws to the limit though. Is there other adjustment to be made?

mrgiggles

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2011
ASUS P8P67 coolmaster cpu cooler 1155

I installed this cpu cooler but the screws that connect ultimately to the mobo dont screw in all the way. I have the screws set in the middle since Ihave a 1155 mobo.

is this normal? I did install in "x" fashion best I could

The screws should fit in the same way that a 1156 mobo.

cassj

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Thanks for the guide. I am trying to find what I think is a short on my Motherboard. I took a screencapture of one of your pics. It shows where the nuts make contact with the motherboard. Like you it appears that there aren't any washers. On my motherboard like yours there seems to be circles drawn around the holes where the screws go through the motherboard and they have some sort of pattern in the circles. I am assuming that is the protected part of the motherboard and would not short.
https://picasaweb.google.com/112977624385357368142/Apr22011#5591096933627502850

I found no reference on how to adjust the center screw the one in the middle of the pic just over the cpu. How tight does it need to be. I think I have it right but better safe than sorry,

Any info would be helpful. I don't think this entire cooler came with one washer.

My TT V9 cames without the side fan, if yours comes with the side fan you will need remove that fan to fit the cooler inside the case.

Correct, that circle is protected against short circuit. If you have a problem let me know to find a solution, check the back plate and proper installation of it, the big part with grey color must comes in contact with your mobo.

cassj

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011

Here are 2 pics of my AMD backplate install. The entire back plate with the exception of the hole for the CPU makes contact with the Motherboard. The back plate appears to be made of the same material as the motherboard (ceramimic) so as to not short out. The outside or non contact silver part of the back plate shown int the pic is metal.

https://picasaweb.google.com/112977 [...] 7740600354

https://picasaweb.google.com/112977 [...] 1927329202

cassj

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011

cassj

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Yes I still have the problem. Just eliminating one thing at a time. Thanks for your help. Oh just as a safegaurd I am going to put some nylon washers in between the motherboard on both sides.

0sync0

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I'm trying to figure out how to orient the cooler. The fan is already attached and I need to know if it is pulling or pushing air through the cooling fins.

For single fan, the configuration is push. In other words, the fan goes in the same side of the RAM slots.

0sync0

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011

Thanks

The cooler plate that sits on top of the CPU is larger than the CPU. If I align the edge of the plate with the edge of the CPU, instead of centering it, then the fan will just barely clear the RAM slots.

Screwing the cooler bracket into the motherboard is going to be difficult because two of the screws will be right under the fan.

You can remove the FAN for install the cooler and install the fan again when the installation ends.

Regarding the RAM, if you only are using 2 RAM slots, move the RAM to the RAM slot that are far away from the cooler and problem solved.

0sync0

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011

I realize now that I have to center the cooler over the CPU and one of the RAM slots will be covered. I am only using two RAM slots though.

Since the cooler will not be fastened very securely, installing the fan again might be even more difficult than the other option.

Take a look of the fan's cooler and how is this attached to the cooler. Trust me isn't difficult and is the best options to get the cooler center in the CPU.

0sync0

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011

Yes, I see now that the fan isn't as difficult to attach as a I thought.

Lutfij

Titan
@ Saint19 - bro, how you been man?

a small word of advice - i figured that the pictorial guide was a good step forward - but with the questions i've followed up until now, i think you could make a vid of the installation and up it on youtube.

Thas my opinion though - not everyone will agree to it :)

ohh..

Welcome back dude, nice to see you here again. I can try that, but you know that English isn't my 1st language and I don't want be the youtube's joke for a bad speaking English. :lol:

I will try that and maybe share the video with you in 1st place before upload it to youtube.

Lutfij

Titan

No bro :sarcastic: i said it before and i'll say it again - your English is as good, if not, better than most people who have English as their first language. Been seeing you for nearly two years - and you've been good help to the forums!!! keep it up! But i'll be glad to help you out :)

dieselpower

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Hello, maybe this question is answered in this thread somewhere but I really cannot read it all right now to find out. Sorry in advance for this.

Here is the question: I heard lately that one needs to apply certain torque at every screw, when tightening the heatsink to the mainboard (in x-pattern).

I presume this torque is noted somewhere in the specification of the cooler one has bought. This got me really spooked since I don't have any special tools for this purpose. Is it really crucial how formly the screws are tightened? Is there such a thing as torque spanner for PC assembly, lol? How much do these cost?

Thanks in advance.