Installing the Cooler Master Hyper 212+

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
Great guide. Many thanks for taking the time to do this, since I'm going to be using the Hyper 212+ in my soon-to-be build.

btw, your English is very good for a second language. :)

If u watch the video again, the mobo that they used is for Intel (I don't know the specific model) and I used an AMD mobo. The backplate is installed in different way if u have a Intel mobo and I said that in the guide.

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
You're right about the backplate. I know the guy in the video was using an Intel mobo. I see in your guide you mention you're using an AMD mobo. I just didn't see anything that mentioned Intel mobos having to install the backplate differently. I've gone over the guide an extra few times now. I used Ctrl+F and can't find Intel even mentioned.

My bad I forgot mention that, just mentioned the screws position in the retention plate. Added to the guide ;)

gates7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
to saint19 : what about your ambient temp ? how much ? cz i use phenom ii x4 955 be and i'd like to oc it. now i'm looking for cooler. thnks

gates7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
saint19 said:
Usually are between 18C-20C and some days are 23C-24C not more.
wow,,,are u using air conditioner ? where do u live ?
in my country in the afternoon can reach 32C...

Mark Heath

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2010
your English is good, better than people who have them as a first.
He's right. A whole heap of my friends have English worse than yours even though it's the only language they know. Not easy to learn languages and you've done great :)

gates7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

i live in indonesia...tropical island.... :love:

Like Mark Heath says, this's sticky in the main thread in the Overclocking section ;)

Shirosaki

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
I reinstalled this into a new build recently. It took like 30 minutes just to clean off the old thermal paste. It gets inbetween the copper coils and metal face plate and you can't get in there to clean it so it just sort of runs down the coils and drips off the end.

Question. I'm not familiar with quad core temps, but is it normal for there to be a 4-5 degree (Celsius) temp difference between the cores on idle? Core 0 and 2 run about 25 on idle and Core 1 and 3 run at 20 idle. Also noticed core 0 seems to be 2-3 degrees hotter than the other cores when running Prime95, but it's doing a different work process than the other 3. Guess I'm a little paranoid I didn't get a good thermal spread because it was sliding around a bit when I was setting the retention plate, and I tried a different way of applying thermal paste.

I followed the 2 line way that seems to be recommended for this heat sink. I put a little thermal paste in the space between the coils and metal surface then I put 2 lines on the CPU horizontally so that the coils would be perpendicular with the paste. I thought it would spread better than if it were parallel because there would be less chance of the paste getting stuck in between the coils and not spreading over the chip and metal plate evenly.

varis

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Are there pics on how the clips are supposed to be installed? Does most of the clip go inside the heatsink? Do all 212+ come with the same type of clips? In how many places are you supposed to bend the clip to make it fit?

Most other steps of installing the 212+ seem straightforward to me, but so far I've snapped 1 of the clips trying to bend it into a workable shape :p Working with screwdrivers on 2 opposite sides of the mobo for fastening the backplate is a bit tricky when you have only 2 hands (arms can come handy at some point) and have to be careful when choosing where to press on the mobo... tricky but still straightforward.

Applying silver paste can be iffy. I filled the grooves as instructed in some of the guides, which also left a fair film of paste over pretty much all of the heatsink base, I scraped off some of the extra. Made a test install for the HSF and found out that the paste didn't spread to the pipes at the flanks, weird? Could this mean that for some reason my HSF is not making good contact with the CPU? Is the base uneven somehow and the flanks get lifted in the air... :sarcastic: I applied more paste on the sides for a 2nd install, dunno if it worked, I only get a little excess paste coming out at one end of the HSF (apparently coming via the channels), so no evidence there is enough on the flanks - I suppose it's sufficient. What is the one screw right in the middle supposed to do, and which direction should I turn it?

I'm installing this for cooling my i3-540, so socket 1156. TDP for the CPU is just 65W so I figured a low-power Noctua is ok as a fan, moves a bit over/about a half of the air that the stock one does. The noctua has a 3-pin connector, so it goes to chassis connector on the mobo, and the rear exhaust fan (the stock for 212+) goes to the CPU connector... logical, isn't it ;)

Fittings problems on my mobo are really non-existent. Clearance to the closest condensators from the heatpipes is more than 10mm. I'd suppose this is one of the easiest HSFs to fit into your system.