[SOLVED] Installing the same OS on multiple computers

chuckles2666

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
I'm looking for a way to install all my software on one PC and then to copy that hard drive to other PCs. I've been reading about cloning and imaging, and I'm still not sure on which would be better. I would like to put this on the server, and reinstall from there. I've gotten a Windows 10 iso to do this, but it doesn't have the other software that I'm wanting to put on each computer.

We have a volume license for our Windows 10 Education 64 bit.

I would greatly appreciate any help in this matter.
Thank you in advance.

Solution
My suggestion is to do a install on the first same machine with no internet. Get it installed without validation, but ready to connect and do so. Clone that to every similar machine, for each of the multiple similar machines.
I am aware that large companies have easier ways to do this, so if it’s a whole lot of computers I might suggest waiting till someone with that level of experience sounds off.

The above method is what I do with bulk purchase same computers like Dell Optiplex that are all exactly identical machines.

chuckles2666

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
If all the machines are the same just clone to the drive on each. Your volume license should take care of the rest. Any dissimilar machines should not use the exact same clone.

So you are recommending cloning instead of imaging? Can I just boot from the clone, or do I have to install the cloning software on the new machine, and then run that as recovery?

Sorry, I'm just wanting to make sure I"m doing this correctly.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
My suggestion is to do a install on the first same machine with no internet. Get it installed without validation, but ready to connect and do so. Clone that to every similar machine, for each of the multiple similar machines.
I am aware that large companies have easier ways to do this, so if it’s a whole lot of computers I might suggest waiting till someone with that level of experience sounds off.

The above method is what I do with bulk purchase same computers like Dell Optiplex that are all exactly identical machines.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Also, Sysprep.

"To deploy a Windows image to different PCs, you have to first generalize the image to remove computer-specific information such as installed drivers and the computer security identifier (SID). You can either use Sysprep by itself or Sysprep with an unattend answer file to generalize your image and make it ready for deployment. "

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...p/sysprep--generalize--a-windows-installation

Do you also have multiple licenses for your other software if needed?

chuckles2666

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2013
Also, Sysprep.

"To deploy a Windows image to different PCs, you have to first generalize the image to remove computer-specific information such as installed drivers and the computer security identifier (SID). You can either use Sysprep by itself or Sysprep with an unattend answer file to generalize your image and make it ready for deployment. "

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...p/sysprep--generalize--a-windows-installation

Do you also have multiple licenses for your other software if needed?
I was looking into sysprep and from what I was reading, it didn't seem like it did the software as well, just Windows itself, unless I read it wrong. All of our other software has bulk licenses.

USAFRet

Titan
I was looking into sysprep and from what I was reading, it didn't seem like it did the software as well, just Windows itself, unless I read it wrong. All of our other software has bulk licenses.
I believe it will capture the entire install, applications and all.

"In some cases, customized applications that you install before you recapture the Windows image may require a consistent drive letter. Some applications store paths that include the system's drive letter. Uninstallation, servicing, and repair scenarios may not function correctly if the system's drive letter does not match the drive letter that the application specifies. "

That indicates that applications are included. You just have be cognizant of resulting drive letters, etc.

Reactions: punkncat

TRENDING THREADS