[SOLVED] Instant Power Loss and Shutdown. Power surge?

Nov 8, 2019
Hello, I have a gaming laptop (ORIGIN EON-17X) purchased in 2016, but within the last week I have twice experienced a total and instantaneous shutdown/loss of power even though the battery is full and it is plugged into AC power. There is no shutdown sequence it just instantly stops. Furthermore, the power brick's light turns off, and will not turn back on or deliver any power to the laptop until I have unplugged and replugged it back into an AC outlet. Is this a sign of a power surge? I find it strange that the laptop does not switch to battery power even though it is connected and full. And the power brick is plugged into a surge protector.

This has only happened during gaming when the machine was running hot, but no more than usual, and I've not experienced this issue in the 4 years I've had it until now. The power brick itself was recently replaced (within the last 6 months) so I would be surprised if it was the problem but cannot be sure. Checking the System Event Viewer doesn't show any actual cause for the shutdown either. At least that I can find.

Solution
Take a look in Reliability History - much more user friendly than Event Viewer. For the most part, I expect that you will see "Windows not properly shutdown" type errors.

However, I would be more suspect of:

1) the surge protector - surge protectors can only take and absorb so much energy ( power surges) before becoming moot or otherwise failing in some manner.

2) the wall outlet - it could have a loose connection or there could be a problem with its' host circuit. An electrician would be necessary to address home related electrical problems.

3) the power brick - even though new that does not mean that it can be excluded.

Try using another outlet/circuit even if you have to run a temporary extension cord to the power brick.

Key...

Ralston18

Titan
Take a look in Reliability History - much more user friendly than Event Viewer. For the most part, I expect that you will see "Windows not properly shutdown" type errors.

However, I would be more suspect of:

1) the surge protector - surge protectors can only take and absorb so much energy ( power surges) before becoming moot or otherwise failing in some manner.

2) the wall outlet - it could have a loose connection or there could be a problem with its' host circuit. An electrician would be necessary to address home related electrical problems.

3) the power brick - even though new that does not mean that it can be excluded.

Try using another outlet/circuit even if you have to run a temporary extension cord to the power brick.

Key is to narrow down the possible culprit.

Solution

rreyes0051

Commendable
May 15, 2018
It appears to be that your laptop is not cooling properly.

You mention it shuts off only when your gaming and the laptop is hot. Most computers today turn off automatically when there is too much heat to protect itself. Can you verify that you can see or hear that the fans are spinning when the laptop is on? If you can't hear them, then the fans need to be replaced. If you can hear it, check the grill where the fan is located and make sure that it is not clogged. This restricts the airflow and causes the computer to turn off when you're gaming because the temperature is too high and might damage the components inside. You can use a toothpick or small brush to clean some of the dust that might be trapped. If it is too dirty, you might have to open up the latop to clean the fans on the inside or you can also try using some compressed air to try and clear it out.