Intel’s Z77 Express And Lucidlogix MVP: New Features For Gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't the MVP software to account for the "dips" in performance for discrete video cards?

Could you guys provide a video showing the differences between a run with the MVP and without? With V-Sync on also.

Nice review, BTW. Thanks for it 8)

Cheers!

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]confish21[/nom]Tom, should we expect much of an advantage when ivy bridge is used?IB and z77 VS. IB and z68?[/citation]

Don't expect them to tell you, they're still under Intel's NDA.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
is this a joke? we need to have at lease 2 pcie lanes at 16x speed for serious gaming...2 lanes at 8x will be bringing down your true capability of the graphic cards...thanks but not thanks...i will stick with my x58 chip for now

[citation][nom]aicom[/nom]You bolded PCIE 2.0 for Panther Point but forgot to change it to PCIE 3.0[/citation]
No, the Z77 and all Panther Point chipest are indeed 8x lanes of PCIe 2.0, so Thomas's article is correct. Don't confuse GPU PCIe lanes with Chipset PCIe lanes. However, Thomas knows that I too 'wish' the LGA 1155 was PCIe 3.0 clean, it sure would help with other chipset 'sharing' issues (bottlenecks).

josejones

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Where's the performance increase with the z77 over the z68? The new features are a plus but, previews I've seen so far suggest that the z77's are slower than the z68.

What's up with that? Do the z77's require the Ivy Bridge CPU to take full advantage? Sounds like possible driver and/or most likely BIOS issues as others have pointed out elsewhere on page 2 of the z77 Motherboard Discussion thread.

tmk221

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
This Lucidlogix Virtu software looks very promising. Certainly it needs a lot of improvment but I think that they will do good job having intel as a partner

thehidecheck

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2012
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]is this a joke? we need to have at lease 2 pcie lanes at 16x speed for serious gaming...2 lanes at 8x will be bringing down your true capability of the graphic cards...thanks but not thanks...i will stick with my x58 chip for now[/citation]
poppycock, even high end cards can't even come close to saturateing a 8x slot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFMzRZqFh-w get learned yo

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]aicom[/nom]You bolded PCIE 2.0 for Panther Point but forgot to change it to PCIE 3.0[/citation]Nope, Intel did that, it's a capture from Intel's document. And the eight lanes on the chipset really are PCIe 2.0.[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]is this a joke? we need to have at lease 2 pcie lanes at 16x speed for serious gaming...2 lanes at 8x will be bringing down your true capability of the graphic cards...thanks but not thanks...i will stick with my x58 chip for now[/citation]Not really: Previous generation cards ran pretty good at PCIe 2.0 x8, and these CPU-hosted lanes are PCIe 3.0. Noting that this is Intel's mainstream platform, that's probably good enough.[citation][nom]tmk221[/nom]This Lucidlogix Virtu software looks very promising. Certainly it needs a lot of improvment but I think that they will do good job having intel as a partner[/citation]Given the weakness of Intel's integrated GPU, this certainly looks like a more-efficient technology compared to its previous (Hydra) efforts.

gradius2

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
I'm tired to see the needed to change MB almost everytime something come out, is time for manufactures to be RESPONSIBLE to make something more universal, so change MB would takes 10 years or more! I hope Tom's make a news about this we need drastic solution for a scary-future it will comes very soon.

e56imfg

Distinguished
Saw some benchies of the 3570K / 3770K at Tweaktown. Not sure to trust them or not but the software looks promising.
In a few months, I'm sure most of these bugs will be ironed out.

kyraiki

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Good review. Virtu was a great addition to Z68 and the update for Z77 looks promising. I just wish Lucidlogix would have picked another term besides 'HyperFormance'.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I saw a review of another mobo on this chipset over on another site and they used a 680 for their benchmarks. The only one they had in common with this one was 3dmark 11 on performance.
They got a 9177 on the z77 from gigabyte... with a 680...the standard 680 P score is 9458.
You guys topped out in that same bench with a 580 at 8728!
The normal 3dmark 11 P score with a 580 is 6619 (commensurate with the score for no VVS)

That HyperFormance and Virtual Vsync are really helping! At least in 3dmark LOL! Cant wait to see what score you get with a 680 combined with HF and VVS!

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]thehidecheck[/nom]poppycock, even high end cards can't even come close to saturateing a 8x slothttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFMzRZqFh-w get learned yo[/citation]
still...i would rather have 2 pcie lanes at 16X just in case i want to install two nvidia gtx 590 in sli...get the point?....why settle for something less when you can have the cake and eat it too :)

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]Cyberat_88[/nom]USB is obsolete, low speed real performance connection, ESATA is the future, stop hyping garbage MBs. Why get the 77 series when the 79 is out with dual x16 pci-e slots ?[/citation]
Agree with you. This chip is more of the same the only differences are just two; smaller transistors in the chipset and the name on it. that's it that's all the hype.. lol

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]Novuake[/nom]OK so this is NOT a Z68 replacement but a H67 replacement??? Makes no sense NOT to have PCIe 3.0. Makes all the new cards useless on all but the boards with third party PCIe 3.0 controllers???[/citation]Take a breath and look at the chipset block diagram at the top of this page.[citation][nom]Cyberat_88[/nom]USB is obsolete, low speed real performance connection, ESATA is the future, stop hyping garbage MBs. Why get the 77 series when the 79 is out with dual x16 pci-e slots ?[/citation]If you didn't notice the lack of "hype" in the article, you commented without reading the article.
[citation][nom]_Pez_[/nom]Agree with you. This chip is more of the same the only differences are just two; smaller transistors in the chipset and the name on it. that's it that's all the hype.. lol[/citation]The article points out the main hardware improvement is the inclusion of USB 3.0, which reduces motherboard cost. If you think reduced cost is a bad thing, you probably shouldn't be reading articles on mainstream hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.