Enigmazflo

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
Greeting,
So I play Overwatch on regular basis and I noticed that from past 6 months I am having horrible latency on my wifi connection, I thought it was related to my ISP so I kept complaining about it for months until yesterday I decided to plug in ethernet to check my connection. This is my result.

On Wifi 5GHZ (Full range):
Latency : 98-130ms
IND : 40-60ms

On Wifi 2.4GHZ(Full range):
Latency :75-85ms
IND :20-28ms

On Ethernet :
Latency :70-80ms
IND :20ms

How on earth is my 5ghz performing so BAD?*(Yes I was sitting next to my router while testing it.)

My old Lenevo z50-70(Intel AC 3160) on 5Ghz plays at 80ms(latency) and constant 20ms(IND).

I have tried every single drivers till now and have gone through INTEL's recommended setting in DeviceManager->Intel WLAN->Properties->Advance. Still no difference.

Can anyone help me fix this issue ?

Solution
You can try drivers for the chipset from intel maybe it will help but not very likely. If windows did update the driver you need to turn that option off....well maybe turn off all automatic windows updates.
You have very little you can set on wifi. Almost all issues are related to interference. You could have defective 5g radio in the router or maybe the radio in your pc has issues when running at 5g. Neither of these is very likely but is a possibility if you eliminate everything else.

The only really setting changing you can make on wifi are the channels it attempts to use and the channel width, in effect the number of channels it uses. Since there are many other people around you also attempting to use wifi and you may have other non wifi devices in your house 5g you always run the risk of other signals interfering.

So you can try to change the channels but if leave it set to 80mhz width you only have 2 options in most countries. There are 9 20mhz wide blocks you can use. If you force the router to 20mhz you can then choose each and see if they are better. This will massively decrease the top speed you can get but for games it does not matter since they use almost no bandwidth.

Reactions: Enigmazflo

Enigmazflo

Reputable
Aug 23, 2016
You have very little you can set on wifi. Almost all issues are related to interference. You could have defective 5g radio in the router or maybe the radio in your pc has issues when running at 5g. Neither of these is very likely but is a possibility if you eliminate everything else.

The only really setting changing you can make on wifi are the channels it attempts to use and the channel width, in effect the number of channels it uses. Since there are many other people around you also attempting to use wifi and you may have other non wifi devices in your house 5g you always run the risk of other signals interfering.

So you can try to change the channels but if leave it set to 80mhz width you only have 2 options in most countries. There are 9 20mhz wide blocks you can use. If you force the router to 20mhz you can then choose each and see if they are better. This will massively decrease the top speed you can get but for games it does not matter since they use almost no bandwidth.
I did as you suggested , it doesn't seem to work, still stuck with bad latency. No matter what changes I made its always at a high latency, could it be related to Windows 10 update? I have noticed that since windows 10 2004 I am facing this issue. Prior to windows update everything was cool, as long as I remember. In my laptop's earlier days I haven't seen this issue. Thanks for your suggestion!