Intel 9th Gen CPUs Are Great...if You Can Find Them

Walmarthas sounds like a greek god devoted to saving you money.

Edit: I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. The temptation was too great.

https://imgur.com/a/j8c2IrE?

Originally the article had a typo of Walmarthas which gave me the mental picture of above.

The walmart typo has since been fixed.

what's disappointing to me is the frustration intel had to know it was causing by not informing the market they weren't going to make their pre-announced availability date. A lot of folks did as i did, and ordered / purchased a number of components (cases, motherboards, PSUs, Ram etc) the same day i pre-ordered the cpu. So now i'm sitting here with a small fortune in components with no cpu

It's inconceiveable that the marketing dept wasn't aware they weren't going to make their availability date, but i can't for the life of me comprehend what their goal was by not advising the market. Whatever "PR" points they might feel they would win by announcing the 9900k's availability date was sure destroyed by the negative customer goodwill and loss of credibility they had to know they'd suffer - it doesn't make sense, it's not like Intel managers have the IQ of a tree stump.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014

I have a feeling they're sending the initial existing i9 inventory to PC manufacturers and VAR's, because I have not seen nor heard from a single enthusiast who's received one apart from reviewers.

Amazon briefly had the 9700's selling as "Ship now / In Inventory" for like a half a day before they were listed as "Out of Stock" again.

Sep 20, 2018
Thanks for the information about the 2nd-rate AMD Ryzen processors out there, but the people visiting this article aren't interested in 2nd-rate parts.

stdragon

Admirable

Really? Why not? Because, for the dollar, I could totally justify any "2nd-rate" CPU and use the money saved to spend on a better GPU.

Sometimes the cost isn't about a specific part, rather the sum total of a PC build.

Sep 20, 2018

I'd bet most that buy this processor have top-of-the-line parts across the board. My build certainly does. Some PC gamers are 35+ and have $$$$ to burn on toys. It's a waste, but I'd rather build a new $5k computer every year or two than buy a fancier car or something?

Sep 20, 2018

Gah... maybe 7nm will come out before mine ships and I'll switch to the AMDz early

Sep 20, 2018

If you're in the market for a $500 processor that will require likely at least a $150 AIO(if you don't have a custom), I'm guessing they aren't too concerned about 'deals'.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014

Seriously? What's your source?

ekidhardt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
So pre-ordered one from newegg. They told me they had about 700 pre-orders, and that I wouldn't be in the first order batch.

So they emailed mailed me today, and said

"Unfortunately, we did not receive our inventory as anticipated on October 19th, 2018. Our vendor has provided us with a new ETA of October 26th, 2018. You are welcome to keep your existing pre-order and it will be processed and shipped once we receive inventory, or you can instead choose to cancel your pre-order within your Newegg Account's Order History."

Not super happy with this.

again, i said "FWIW" but one of the posters on amazon's 9900k product page copied/pasted his chat with customer svc -
He posted it in the "question / answer section"

i'm hoping it's accurate and that they receive enough units to satisfy my pre-order but i'm not going to bank on it

with ekidhardt report that newegg indicated a shipment with an ETA of Oct 26th, maybe there are units flowing in the supply line

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014

Hey, if it ships to you just a week after the 19th release date I would say be thrilled. I'm hearing rumors that are far more dire, and reading your email makes me wish I had pre-ordered through newegg instead of B&H.

Thanks for the datapoint though...makes me think maybe things aren't backed all the way up to a single tech in Vietnam who's manually applying Solder TIM to each CPU as they roll off the fab and stack up like dirty dishes around her. 'Cause that's how I imagine it.

hapkiman

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Although this will likely be hard for those seeing through rose colored AMD glasses to grasp, but there are some of us out here that are not overly concerned with the cost of the processor or the best "bang for the buck" CPU (within reasons of sanity course, e.g. I wouldn't pay $5000 for it). All I care about if it is the fastest, and best overall processor at this level of top-tier enthusiast's products for some productivity work, and for gaming. It indisputably is. Even with buggy early BIOS'. Performance will only continue to improve over the next few months. And please no TR comparisons, as they are not in the same class, nor are they meant to be. That being said, I take nothing away from the Ryzen 7 2700x because it has proven it's worth to many. But I would simply rather have the i9-9900K. The extra money is worth it to me, and it's my decision. I'm not asking for someone to tell me how horrible of a deal it is and try and sell me on something that I don't want. Just as I would not tell you what to buy either.

But they are at the same price...

The 1950x is 100$ more and the motherboard about the same price. You argument is totally illogical.

Money is not an issue for getting the 9900k, but you believe that the 100$ more for getting you 16 cores is not worth it... and we are not even talking about the water cooling you require for keeping the 9900k below 100C at 5-51GHz.

And we are not even talking about power...

I was going to say it is irrational, but I will even go further by saying it is delusional.

at 1440p or 2160p, GPU bottleneck occurs, so the 9900k can only show the reported performances at 1080p with an enthusiasm GPU like a 1080 TI.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Was wondering how long it would take before Intel put out its own version of the AMD FX 9590....

With equitable cooling, you'd prolly stand a better chance at a faster processor with an i7-8086k +OC.

Be like getting 5GHz out of an FX 8350, for half the cost, half the power and none of the thermal issues.