Intel & AMD Processor Hierarchy (Archive)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muffindell

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
So where does my Intel 2700K running at 4.7Ghz fall into this chart? If you have a overclockable CPU should a average overclock also be posted in these charts to reflect what most users actually have?

This list is flawed to the hell.
What is it based on? The title would indicate gaming performance but then there's a bunch of i9s above the 7700k?
Multicore performance? then why is the i9 7980XE below the 8700k?
Is the 300MHz turbo difference between the 7700k and the 6700k really big enough to fit 9 different cpus?
What is AMDs positioning supposed to mean? Are you trying to say that the TR 1950X is weaker than likes of the i5 8400 on the same criteria that put the i9 7980XE above it?
How are the i5 7600, i5 7500 and 7400 better than the i5 6600k?

muffindell

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011

Agreed, it's all pointless garbage and no use to the novice or experienced builder.

gjbaker003

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
*Take note, the price for the R5 1600 is $309.98 because the article has it linked to a bundle with a Gigabyte motherboard.

The processor itself is listed at $209.99.

Not sure if that was made clear or not?

frostednuggz

Prominent
Nov 2, 2017
I noticed that you have everything but the A-10xxx and the A-12xxx. Ryzen, while it might look really good and do even better gaming, you don't mention anything else. Looks like this comparison is incomplete (IMHO)

Just thought I'd point out that the Core i7-7820X is not an AMD model.

It's currently sitting between the Threadripper 1900X and the Ryzen 7 1700 on the AMD side of the table.

It's also on the Intel side, between the i7-7700K and the i7-7700.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Doesn't appear to be showing there for me.... are you on mobile perhaps?
NBUz03N.png

I don't believe I was. I could be mistaken, though. It seems to be fixed now, though.

lesberg

Prominent
Nov 6, 2017
Abandon Hope ye who enter, for THG is not the bastion of knowledge of old. In the days past, even before AdSense did they shine like a beacon upon the mount. Since that time they have fallen, driven by their lust for Revenue Streams and Ad-based income.

The quality of content hath fallen by the wayside as a leper, left to rot.

Gone are the days whereupon they laid aside the tech-speak of the great corporations and said "BEHOLD! The power of thy processor can be much increased with the judicious application of peltier cooling, increased front-side bus clocks, and processor voltages!"

Go forth, seeker, and slake thy thirst for knowledge upon the vast sea of the Internet. Beware though, for much information is false and wilst sabotage thy goals. Learn to separate the two, and knowledge begets wisdom. Go forth.

papality

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Why are there so many EOL products left in the top tier of Intel CPUs, yet the AMD side is exclusively current gen? Who in 2017 (or 2018) is setting out to build a system and considering any pre-Skylake Intel product?

Shumok

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
Really time to completely rework this whole chart. Something like an i5-4xxx should be at least a whole box below an i7-8700k. Newer games probably changes some stuff too. Maybe simplify the chart too by not listing every single cpu in a generation but generalizing more....like i5-4xxx series vs listing every single one. You could do some interesting things like listing gpu's that makes sense in each category.

Shumok

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
A good updated and simplified hierarchy chart with sensible gpu pairings and prices would be very interesting and informative.

mpastrick

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
This used to be THE definitive list, but it severely lacks content and updates...and objectivity for that matter. It seems if something new comes out, it just get slapped on the list at the top indiscriminately. There are 70 -SEVENTY- processors listed in the "Top" tier as of this comment (58 Intel, 12 AMD). I have a very hard time believing they can not be differentiated from one another. Further, it directs to reader to CPU performance charts if you want more detailed information, the most recent one...2015. Time to move on to other sites to figure out what processor I want in my next gaming rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.