Intel Believes That PC is Undergoing Transition to a Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

luc2k

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
You didn't thank ctrl+c and ctrl+v. Shame on you!

Does this mean they're throwing the ultrabook under the bus?

lol the comments are better than the story, i amd keeps up the progress they have made. maybe by the time intel moves on from the diy market that amd will be ready to snatch up our business...but it will be a sad day...

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
When a tablet PC has the full unrestricted (Read: Not watered down versions) power of that years current generation high end hardware, with an OS and accessories of my choice (keyboards, gaming pads, mice, HDMI for external monitors etc..), then and only then will I say desktop PC's are dead or fading.

Until then, tablets are great for the segments they fill, but they can't and won't replace desktops or even laptops anytime soon for the upper markets, esp enthusiasts and a lot of gamers. I could see maybe laptops doing the job before tablets are able to.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
It'll be a sad day if PC's ever actually die. Obi Wan will feel a great disturbance in the force, as if gaming technology suddenly reverted 6 or 7 years.

At least we still have AMD.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
What are you all worried about? High tech pros will have multi-core uber boxes running what used to be an entire network infrastructure under their desks.

TunaSoda

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2005
Sure, the pc will die when they make a tablet with a full desktop os, a quad core cpu, 8gb of ram, and like a few TB of storage all able to plug into a mouse/monitor/keyboard/external drive/router/printer... :D

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Intel also believes the future is in voice recognition, that we will all be shouting at our phones in public, so I wouldn't put too much faith in their opinion. They should pray people don't switch to tablets, because that is the weakest area of their approach. They're crawling whereas ARM is a marathon runner. And what if they do enjoy success and they cut into ARM and AMDs profits anymore? How far until they get hit with being considered a monopoly? I find his statement quite interesting; "We would not take business that enables a competitor." Is that stating that you'd rather enjoy a position with no competition than to be forced to have to truly compete, Otellini?

johnnyevil

Honorable
Nov 27, 2012
Tell you what: When the designers of all the power hungry, cpu/gpu intensive, high-heat-producing applications start MAKING those applications on a tablet FOR a tablet with all the problems attributed to a tiny, conceled device sorted out, I will get a tablet. I'm not talking about the silly little farmville games either. I'm talking about when I can pick up my tablet and turn on the current day version of a Crysis or Boarderlands style game. Until then, it's all silly talk.

G

Sorry Intel, I'm a real computer user.

I prefer to have my monitors take up the entire width of my desk, and to not have to clean fingerprints off of them every other day, thanks.

john15v16

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Looks like Intel intellect has been blinded by their chip order numbers... The tablet cannot "replace" the pc...same same thing was said when laptops went mainstream..still hasn't happened. But then they said, "oh but laptops will eventually catch up to the power of desktops"... but didn't seem to take into account that as laptop parts increased in performance...so would desktops! WOW, imagine that...

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Ok here are few random thoughts that may come to fruition should companies like Microsoft and Intel decide the Home PC is dead:

Possiblity 1:
The home PC is builder is going to have to hope that the custom business PC market is big enough that high end but affordable components that can also meet the home enthusiast's needs are still made available.

Possiblity 2:
The PC and the home gaming system finally merge like they have talked about for decades.
You buy your keyboard, mouse and printer accesories then buy all your software and drivers to download like apps. Retail software and accesories development becomes devoted to only the 2 or 3 competing platforms and whatever Apple is doing.
No more building your own or upgrading. Sucks for us. Gaming graphics stalls for up to 5 years as we wait for the gaming systems to catch up the PC's ability.

Possiblity 3:
After some small power and graphics increases the tablet becomes the new PC and it now has a docking station just like laptops used to. You dock your tablet to quickly connect, keyboards, mice, monitors, or what have you and buy all your software and drivers to download like apps. Retail software and accesories development becomes devoted to only the handful of competing platforms.
No more building your own or upgrading, sucks to be us. Gaming as we know it dies on the "PC" and you are left with the dedicated "Home entertainment" platforms.

Or I'm completely wrong

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I'm not sure why everyone gets all up in arms over Intel saying that they are going to focus more on mobile platforms. They already have the top desktop/laptop processors by a longshot. Their Sandy/Ivy Bridge i5's and i7's aren't even stressed during a gaming workload at stock clocks. Even their socket 1366 chips that launched in '08 are more than sufficient to keep up with today's latest graphics cards. If you're looking for CPU's for professional workloads, socket 2011 has what you need. PC's won't die. There will ALWAYS be a need for workstation-class hardware in order to create the content that is consumed on devices like tablets and smartphones. Intel has developed their Core and Xeon lines to offer exceptional amounts of power for gaming, workstation, and server loads. There will always be options for top-tier parts. Intel loves wearing the performance crown and has continued to push the strength of its desktop hardware even as it pulls farther and farther away from AMD. They aren't just going to stop making killer desktop CPU's altogether and start making smartphone chips.

I am glad Intel is taking a serious look at the mobile space. It drives down power consumption and brings someone other than ARM into the picture. For as long as they have existed gaming laptops have been chastised for their horrible battery life. With the push into mobile platforms Intel is bringing power consumption down and battery life up. If GPU manufacturers can continue to drop power consumption and perfect switchable graphics there will be models on the market with gaming-class hardware and 6+ hours of battery life. mITX has also grown in popularity as power consumption has dropped; hardware that used to require big fans and a full tower now fits in a shoebox-sized case.

The enthusiast market will always exist. Desktop-level hardware isn't going away. You can take your tinfoil hats off.

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
It's happening, won't be for a while (5 plus years), but it will happen. With wireless display and virtual keyboards, the only thing you'll need to carry with you is your smartphone/tablet.

If MS would only get their thumb out of their arse and develop Office Suit for Android/iOS, the transition would happen much quicker. If Google Docs ever takes off, might be a moot point.

A good powerful PC/Laptop will be in most homes for years to come, but most will use Smartphone/Tablets for their day to day business.

digitalrazoe

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
The "classic" PC (workstation or other) are the prototypes for the next generation touchy-feely-get-germs-all-over-me Tablet PCs... I for one will keep prototyping.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Laptops and Tablets will never take over a Desktop Pc. Everyone knows that , Writing articals like this is so rediculous. I guess when your Bored as hell you will write any nonsense you can dream up.....

chiefbox

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Wow that would be cool to have a device like that. Intel, do you mean I can use my fingers/touch and gesture to navigate, browse the web, and read books and email. Play games, take pictures and watch movies. I wish other companies had such vision to bring us such technologies as the Itanium, Netbooks, and RAMBUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.