Intel Coffee Lake (8th & 9th Gen Core CPUs) + Skylake-X Refresh & W-3175X MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
They're confirmed for Q1, when Coffee Lake was originally supposed to be launched.
Not sure when Ice Lake will be launched, if it's as planned before or also rushed like Coffee Lake.

Ok, fair enough. I did not know that or could not remember it. Thanks for the correction.

Will those boards support Ice Lake though? (I'm assuming that is the next gen codename; could be wrong).

If they won't ,then this gen does qualify as "stop gap". I'm being nit picky about it, but AMD's Llano line was the same deal for me and I've always considered them a "stop gap" as well.

Cheers!

rob.salewytsch

Prominent
Sep 6, 2017
I think you guys are 'arguing' over semantics. Stop-Gap does not imply bad chips, or even unplanned chips, but rather a chipset with zero upgrade path. As in, the manufacturer created a product better than the last one, but without plans for future support. IMO anyway.

That is also the definition I use.

Cheers!

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

I personally dont care about upgrade path within the same platform.

I dont upgrade cpus frequently enough for it to be a concern, and by the time a few years have past I would want a motherboard with the latest features anyway.

It is a very valid opinion, but we were discussing "value".

Currently, there's absolutely no reason to buy an i3 Covfefe Lake, since the only MoBos available are Z370s. If Intel puts out the H and B MoBos that lower overall platform cost (which Olle P confirms will happen), then value goes up for interested people in good & cheap systems and you can recommend the lower en i3s (and probably upcoming Pentiums?) based on Covfefe Lake to people.

Cheers!

'Sources' have suggested to me that b360 will be a limited OEM release for system builders (dell/lenovo/hp etc) & will only support the lower wattage chips.

I'll defer judgement at the moment but will add these sources have been ultra reliable in the past.

biglizard

Respectable
Apr 1, 2016
Amazon has 8600k and 8700k in stock @ 279 and 419 respectively.

Ordered both,

8700k didn't have a price listed but order went through, with a delivery date of 14 Nov for both.

Hmm, which one to keep?

Please somebody talk some sense into me, 8600k right as I only game.

Wait, you have a 7700k already?? Why u upgrading at all?

biglizard

Respectable
Apr 1, 2016

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Seriously, I just have the bug.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Coming from a 7700k, it only makes any kind of sense to go for the 8700k. The 8600k isnt a worthy upgrade from the 7700k.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
These CPUs are in production and do trickle out to the market. Just don't expect them to be/stay in stock when you want them, until early next year.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

The core i3 8100 is on average 18%+ faster than the Ryzen 3 1200
The Ryzen 3 1200 is $20 cheaper
In USA we can get a z370 motherboard for $111(more options than the cheaper B350)
A cheap B350 motherboard is $64
The total difference is around $70 USD

Budgets builds are usually playing at 1080p, At that resolution the i3 is massively better than the Rizen 3 due to Intel's better IPC. Well at the end is up to the buyer if they are like you and they don't care that much about the extra performance and the extra FPS, Is up to them if they want to just build the cheapest build possible. But the motherboard prices should be a little less for those budget builds. I agree Rizen 3 1200+GTX 1060 is better than i3 8100+GTX 1050 Ti but the Ryzen 3 1200 is less future proof than the i3. At the end is all about you get what you pay for.

BF1.png
Ashes.png
Civ.png
F1.png
OC-2.png
OC-1.png
OC-2.png

^ you're still getting over 100fps on the ryzen though on mainstream titles .

I'd argue for someone contemplating buying the budget end chips , there is no way in hell they're running a 144htz screen

At the minute in the UK the ryzen 1200 is £80 , the 1300x is £96 , buy an Asus board with the 1300x & you get 2 brand new AAA titles & everspace free (over £100 worth of games)

The promotion must be in hand between Asus & amd & that's going to make up the minds of some people if they're aware of it.

Good video. Specially the scaling analysis using Kaby Lake launch data and the 2012 data points.

So the, obvious I must say, conclusion is to always test as much as you can to draw the correct conclusions.

Cheers!

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Just note that you are comparing budget processors for gaming that you should look at budget video cards as well. Graphs are using a liquid cooled Vega 64 or 1080Ti will give a skewed impression of what to expect! Below is a graph to show you the difference to expect when using less powerful, and more budget oriented gaming cards and processor. When on a budget going for the processor offering better application performance over gaming FPS numbers is probably always going to be the right answer!

Ryzen 3: The Ultimate Gaming Benchmark Guide
By Steven Walton on August 7, 2017

BF.png

F1.png

FC.png

Warhammer.png

Overwatch.png

Witcher.png

RSS.png

If you're gaming with a graphics card equivalent to the GTX 1060 or slower and you plan on playing newly released titles, then the Ryzen 3 CPUs will be as good as any. What we've seen here is once you upgrade your GPU in the future or games become more demanding, Ryzen 3 will remain relevant and within reason gamers won't need to upgrade their CPU. We saw this when moving from the GTX 1060 to the GTX 1070, whereas the G4560 would often see little to no performance gain with the faster GPU, the Ryzen 3 CPUs would.

juanrga

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 19, 2013

Haha! Another hilarious anti-i5 video from the same youtuber that pretend some few months ago that FX-8350 was finally faster than i5 SB thanks to magic evolution that happened in the second half of 2017 when suddenly games started using lots of slow cores. Next graph is from the same hilarious anti-i5 youtuber

1TX5J7c.png

Not only he decided to take the last data point in his graph and ignore the trend given by the rest of data points, but he also decided to ignore that German review from where he supposedly got the above data pointed exactly to the contrary of what he pretended. The German review did show the SB i5 was still faster. This is a recent review of RyZen 5 models

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-04/amd-ryzen-5-test/2/#diagramm-gesamtrating-spiele-720p

and the i5-2500k is 12% faster than the FX-8350 for the disgrace of that youtuber

Same happens with more modern i5s. Computerbase shows that i5 continue being king in games. Older i5-7500 is still 20% faster than new R3 1300X

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-10/intel-coffee-lake-8700k-8400-8350k-8100-test/5/#diagramm-performancerating-fps-1280-720

And top of the chart is taken by new CofeeLake i5s.