Intel Coffee Lake (8th & 9th Gen Core CPUs) + Skylake-X Refresh & W-3175X MegaThread! FAQ and Resources

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

Yeah, and you have to add your own RAM and operating system. But you have to consider the size and the massive amount of I/O on that NUC it's pretty damn amazing! I'd like to get the dimensions on it though, so I know how big it is comparatively. For me this is what I want to see smaller and smaller form factors. Those are the kind of advancements I want to see! It gets me closer to the future I want to live in!
0613WTDniels_Fig1.gif

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Intel Quietly Refreshes Its Lower-End Mini PC Lines
by ANDREW E. FREEDMAN Jan 9, 2018, 5:26 PM

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/intel-8th-gen-nuc-bean-canyon-price-specs,news-26394.html
$

The consumer version, Bean Canyon, will ship in the middle of the year, Intel's John Detherage told me at a hands-on event at the company's CES booth. He estimated that the units will range from $299 to $499, with options for 8th-Gen Intel Core i3, i5 and i7 processors. That's particularly interesting, because we haven't yet seen an 8th-Gen Core i3 from Intel yet, so it must be coming sooner rather than later.

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Six Core Intel Core i5 8500 Spotted in Sandra
by Hilbert Hagedoorn on: 01/16/2018 09:23 AM | Source | 11 comment(s)

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/six-core-intel-core-i5-8500-spotted-in-sandra.html
Six Core Intel Core i5 8500 Spotted in Sandra
Nothing exactly earth-shattering news, but it could actually be a sweet-spot processor. The six-core Intel Core i5 8500 has some entries in Sandra, and that indicates the proc might become available rather sooner than later.

The entry lists an i5-8500 six-core processor listed on several budget motherboards, as the colleagues from TPU spotted earlier today. The Intel Core i5-8500 has six cores, no hyperthreading but would be a notch faster compared to the Core i5 8400. It is expected to be a 200 USD processor.
m3MLS8L.png

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
P9YLYV8.png

https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1817327-1-2.html
Interesting!

Edit:
C – Desktop processor based on the LGA 1150 package with high performance graphics
H – High performance graphics
K – Unlocked
M – Mobile
Q – Quad-core
R – Desktop processor based on BGA1364 (mobile) package with high performance graphics
S – Performance-optimized lifestyle
T – Power-optimized lifestyle
U – Ultra-low power
X – Extreme edition
Y – Extremely low power
HK=High performance graphics Unlocked

I just saw this when looking at his newest video, but I think it didn't get posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSI6N6RKd5A

Salt and thinking process is required.

EDIT: Typos and the summary is: Intel hiding information from press is never good. This case, the CPUs operate outside of TDP and they didn't tell the press how. He had to go into the technical sheet of the CPUs and find the "outside of TDP" states (TL1, TL2, TL3 and TL4) that are tied to cooling and additional power requirements.

Cheers!

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
Well, it explains why Intel isn't going to publish all of it's numbers anymore. It's repurposing more of it's 14nm chips instead of throwing ~30% of them away.

Edit: I don't think anything is wrong with them doing this. Cheaper CPU's for everyone, and you get what you pay for. People have to be more mindful of marketing, which I think as a whole people are becoming more informed.

@juanrga - we've not seen any cheaper b & h series boards yet though have we ??

The z boards are based around overclocking & have decent vrm setups capable of soaking up excesses voltage & temp wise.

Will a 6 core 8400 run all 6 cores at 3.8ghz on a cheap 3+1 phase board ??

We may never know because there's still no sign whatsoever of any cheaper chipsets boards arriving anytime soon.

So, does that mean only worst chips are sold as 8400 while those that are slightly better are kept by Intel until they can sell them as 8500? :eek:

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

Yeah, that's exactly how repurposing works.

ive been running fixed 1.370v on my cpu for a few months right now, no issues. was going to try adaptive/offset vcore for farts and hahas. since im too lazy to do it the hard way, are there any guides on the go to settings for asus motherboards?

goldstone77

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012

ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO - Overclocking Test and Guide 8700K (en)
der8auer
Published on Nov 7, 2017
https://youtu.be/CoUtA7DKXhU?t=296

hmm, that is basically what i did. but that is fixed voltage, not adaptive. i want to try out adaptive to check out any kind of possible power savings.

Jun 3, 2018

If you're looking for a grins and giggles devil may care approach use the Asus mobo's auto overclocking feature.

After loading the defaults I asked my Maximus x Hero to set itself an aggressive overclock (from in the BIOS not in Windows with the AI suite).
It immediately took my 8700K by the throat and ramped it up to 5.5GHz with the adaptive voltage flitting around the 1.4 to 1.5v mark. Knee knocking territory that set my pulse racing a little. The temps didn't exceed 90c and Windows behaved itself but I wasn't comfortable and quickly manually setup a 5GHz OC with a fixed 1.35v.

I'd like to enjoy my expensive new kit for a while before I attempt to set fire to the house with it but I know the call of 5.5GHz will take me back one day. It seems I won the silicon lottery and I'll probably get around to investing in a proper custom water cooling loop to take advantage of it...one day.

So yeah, adaptive voltage overclocking can be fun kids.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

For IPC 0-5% I would expect. Clock for clock we havent really moved on much since skylake.

No idea on overclocking, doubt it will be any better. Its rumored to be soldered, but 8 cores will also make more heat.

Sep 3, 2018

Okay cool, kinda what I figured. So you'd say there's no real reason to hold out for the 9600k if I'm looking for a high clock speed 6c/6t?

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

Not if you really want/need a system now. I seriously doubt there will be any significant improvement with the 9600k over the 8600k.

That said, you might be able to pick up a cheaper used 8700k from people wanting to upgrade...