Intel Compute Stick: Is That A Computer In Your Pocket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
This is far from a novelty. This kind of computing devices have been around for several years now.

Nov 17, 2011 Norwegian company FXI technologies showed off a USB stick-sized portable computer prototype, complete with a dual-core 1.2-GHz Samsung Exynos ARM CPU (same as in the Galaxy S II), 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HDMI-out and a microSD card slot for memory.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
This is far from a novelty. This kind of computing devices have been around for several years now.

Nov 17, 2011 Norwegian company FXI technologies showed off a USB stick-sized portable computer prototype, complete with a dual-core 1.2-GHz Samsung Exynos ARM CPU (same as in the Galaxy S II), 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, HDMI-out and a microSD card slot for memory.

Yeah, except this is x86 and therefore can run operating systems people actually use for productivity. So this IS a novelty.

DavidiinCT

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
USB 3.0 ? To think with a small USB 3.0 hub, IR receiver, external HD(for media/recorded tv) and a cablecard USB tuner. You could run a entire DVR/HTPC with Windows Media Center that you can mount to the back of your TV with this...

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
Right, the "MeeGoPad" appears to be near identical to the Compute Stick except it has a slightly different Atom SoC. MeeGoPad dual-OS devices with both Windows 8.1 and Android pre-installed have been available for a couple of months. Price is around $100.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

Besides that I dispute the relation of productivity with x86 (after all, productivity needs for 99% of people are mostly email and basic document edition which don't really need x86), not even x86 on a stick is a novelty. Oct 21, 2014: Shenzhen Apec Electronics has launched Meegopad Meego-T01 a $110 stick computer built around a quad-core Intel Atom Z3735 SoC with 1-2GB of RAM and 16-32GB storage. So this is NOT a novelty at all.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
maybe or maybe not i can see this replaceing a raspberry pi for a low cost media server though the raspberry pie is able to hold more data and do mroe than this would be able to. So this is probably a good thin client like device but i doubt it will see any real head way into the mass market due to both it, the amazon version, and whatever else's version of it not being able to do a DVD / Bluray player for those of us who actually still use them, and no RJ-45 link for uninterrupted 4k streaming from a local NAS. It has good specs for a first generation product just wireless ac would have been better as wireless ac is faster and would support streaming of internet services like youtube @ 1080p or even 1440p without any more lag than on a desktop.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I was reading and was about to say the hardware is not good enough for Windows 8
Tablets with the same hardware run Win 8.1 just fine. You can run a media player and play locally stored files, you can stream, you can browse the web, run apps or traditional programs, even Office and casual games. Don't do anything really heavy with it, regardless of OS.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010

Though big spread sheet of over 100x100 and/or databases would require more than that though i highly doubt anyone would be doing that unless they were just streaming it from a local computer some where on the network.

Lutte Kikker

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
This makes you think about the huge ATX based, power consuming home computers. Just get the graphics cards smaller yet powerfull and you are good to go in most offices i think (since most thin clients need a separate power supply at this moment). This saves a lot of energy hopefully which is good for the environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.