Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2023
i have an Intel core i3 gen 9 CPU and am going to upgrade it to an i7 9700k CPU is this okay? It has the same LGA 1151 socket but I’m just posting this because I already got a CPU that was an i5 7th gen with the same socket but it was incompatible. If someone can tell me if this is a compatible upgrade I’ll buy rn ❤️

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
i have an Intel core i3 gen 9 CPU and am going to upgrade it to an i7 9700k CPU is this okay? It has the same LGA 1151 socket but I’m just posting this because I already got a CPU that was an i5 7th gen with the same socket but it was incompatible. If someone can tell me if this is a compatible upgrade I’ll buy rn ❤️

There's no ninth-generation Intel CPU that's compatible with any motherboard that used a seventh-generation Intel CPU. They're technically the same socket, but the pinouts are not identical, and they're not electrically compatible. It was a bit odd at the time, but Intel made it quite clear at the time that they were not compatible and a simple visit to the motherboard's website for the compatibility list ought to have been done before any purchase.

As to what works with *your* motherboard, you'd have to actually tell us what your motherboard is.

Reactions: MKUltra2.0
If your board is running a i3 9th gen the you can upgrade to the 9700k.

while the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th gen cpus all use the same socket, 6 & 7 gen can not go in 8 & 9 gen motherboards

The 1151 socket spans across the 100, 200, 300, and 400 series motherboards.

6th gen cpus will work in 100 and 200 series motherboards
7th gen will work in 200 series motherboards and 100 series with a bios update
While the 6th and 7th gen cpus will fit in a 300 and 400 series board they will not work.

8th gen will work in a 300 and 400 series board
9th gen will work in a 400 series board and with a bios update a 300 series board.
like before the 8th and 9th gen will fit in a 100 and 200 series board but will not work.

There's no ninth-generation Intel CPU that's compatible with any motherboard that used a seventh-generation Intel CPU. They're technically the same socket, but the pinouts are not identical, and they're not electrically compatible.
Intel so lightly modified the pinouts to make the later processors incompatible, that if you have an old enough BIOS, all it takes is a pencil and some tape to pad-mod an 8000 or 9000 series (that is, 8th or 9th gen Core) Coffee-Lake CPU to run in an old Skylake or Kaby-Lake (100 or 200 series intended for 6th or 7th gen Core) motherboard. Intel also altered newer BIOSes to specifically reject unsupported processors so those would also require a BIOS mod. Just look up the "Coffee Time Mod" (which is NOT the same as the "Hot Coffee Mod").

Not that it matters to OP who presumably has a Coffee-Lake motherboard, the identity of which is super-secret as they refuse to divulge it. It probably is possible to go the other way but nobody has ever bothered to figure out how.

I don't mind pointing this out, as the only reason Intel did this is to increase revenue from unnecessary chipset sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS