Question Intel Core i5-11600K ---- after unlocking threads, they do not show as additional cores. Flaw or feature ?

May 12, 2023
Intel Core i5-11600K ---- after unlocking threads, they do not show as additional cores. Flaw or feature ?

I unlocked the remaining 6 threads of the cpu via Performance monitor and Sysconfig. Please see pix in the link to my FB page.

Screenshots

While the additional 6 cores do not show up in CPUID's HWMonitor or the CPUID CPU-Z MSI, it does show in Window's Device Manager. Since Windows can see all 12 I know it can use them. BUT, does this mean my other apps can not?

If not, is there a fix?

Am I doing something incorrectly?

Please advise and thank you in advance.

P.S. Here is my sysinfo

Last edited:
May 12, 2023
"unlocking threads".
what did you do exactly?

threads is not the same as cores
I ran sysconfig as administrator, I went to "Boot", "Advanced Options", put a check mark in "Number of processors" to unlock the drop down. I then selected 12. Clicked on "Ok" and "Ok" again. I then selected to restart later.

I ran Performance Monitor as administrator, went to "Data Collector Sets", "User Defined", right clicked in the empty field to the right, selected "New", then "New Data Collector Set", named it MSI, selected "Create manually (Advanced), then clicked on "Next", put a check mark in "Performance counter", clicked on "Next", the next page automatically selects "Processor", I then selected "11" which is the highest available, I then selected "Add", I then scrolled up, highlighted "Process", opened the drop down and selected "Thread count", I left the instances preselected to "Total", clicked "Add" again, both "Counter = Total" and "Processor = 11" were included in the "Added counters" field, I then clicked on "OK", then on "Finish", I verified the data collector set named "MSI" was still present and closed the app and restarted the PC.

That's it :)

Last edited:
I ran sysconfig as administrator, I went to "Boot", "Advanced Options", put a check mark in "Number of processors" to unlock the drop down. I then selected 12. Clicked on "Ok" and "Ok" again. I then selected to restart later.
That only creates limitation on system available cores.
There is no unlocking of anything.
For max available cores - number of processors has to be unchecked.
I ran Performance Monitor as administrator, went to "Data Collector Sets", "User Defined", right clicked in the empty field to the right, selected "New", then "New Data Collector Set", named it MSI, selected...
That doesn't change anything.

May 12, 2023
That only creates limitation on system available cores.
There is no unlocking of anything.
For max available cores - number of processors has to be unchecked.

That doesn't change anything.
Sorry Skynet, this process has worked on dozens of builds in the past. You would be incorrect. Have a nice day.

this process has worked on dozens of builds in the past
Intel uses a feature called hyper threading. This allows each individual CPU core to work on two things at the same time. The 11600K has 6 cores and 12 threads.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...1600k-processor-12m-cache-up-to-4-90-ghz.html

The Task Manager shows this as 6 Cores and 12 Logical processors. CPU-Z correctly reports this as Cores 6 and Threads 12. The Device Manager will show 12 different logical processors. Each individual core has two logical processors associated with it.

Here are some examples from my 10850K. It has 10 cores and 20 Logical processors.

View: https://imgur.com/6Wfhu0q

View: https://imgur.com/smTmojN

View: https://imgur.com/bo7hJtF

The Number of processors box in msconfig should never be checked.
If you have checked that box, clear it, press OK and reboot. This will allow Windows to find the maximum number of cores and threads that your CPU has available.

View: https://imgur.com/OKBDjP8

The only purpose of this feature is so you can run your CPU with fewer logical processors. You cannot use this feature to create more cores or logical processors.

@MikeyGOG
Please stop spreading misinformation about changing the Number of processors. For years many people believed this nonsense and ended up disabling half of their CPU cores. Those were not good times for gullible users.

Reactions: Tac 25
Sorry Skynet, this process has worked on dozens of builds in the past. You would be incorrect. Have a nice day.
He's correct not incorrect, good luck in resolving your issues because having told someone who gives you the right answer that they're wrong, you clearly know better than anyone here and with that attitude, you're gonna struggle for help now.

It's you who is wrong but I'll let you get on with figuring out what's wrong.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Intel Core i5-11600K ---- after unlocking threads, they do not show as additional cores. Flaw or feature ?

I unlocked the remaining 6 threads of the cpu via Performance monitor and Sysconfig.

I find it puzzling why you even need to "unlock" threads via Sysconfig. What you should have done is enter bios and check there if Hyper threading is enabled or not. If hyper threading is not enabled, then enable it - this should "unlock" all threads of your 11600k. I know this, because my 10600k's hyper threading can be turned on or off with this method.

and don't mess with the boot option in msconfig. That is unchecked by default, and should be left alone.

Last edited: