Intel Core i7-4770K Surfaces on Two Dutch Webstores

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been a long time since I have seen any reason to upgrade your processor. Anyone with a 2500k or above is quite confortable already. This may be a great CPU, but will not be a game changer. At least Intel is being reasonable in not changing the socket platform. It would be very hard to justify a motherboard+CPU upgrade with no major improvement.

mt2e

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
2700k here, have not seen any reason to upgrade to Ivy or even Haswell, a what 10% performance jump each generation and no other real noticable upsides.

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Actually, as closely as I've been excitedly following the innovations behind Haswell, I'm not sure I care about this news either. You can't actually order them yet, these e-tailers don't actually have them, and the prices are almost certainly going to be inaccurate to the final release price. I think a more accurate price prediction would be the current going rate for the i7-3770k +$10-30.

Even though I stated the reasons not to find this interesting above, I suppose it is just one further sign that Haswell actually exists and will actually be sold. Maybe that excites some people, but Intel is pretty reliable about releasing the products they have developed, especially in this market segment. :)

dominatorix

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]It's been a long time since I have seen any reason to upgrade your processor. Anyone with a 2500k or above is quite confortable already. This may be a great CPU, but will not be a game changer. At least Intel is being reasonable in not changing the socket platform. It would be very hard to justify a motherboard+CPU upgrade with no major improvement.[/citation]
...but they change it the platform!! from socket 1155 to socket 1150!!

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]lostmyclan[/nom]intel made a big shot on the foot with 4770k... who will pay 350 bucks and another 200 bucks for 5% gain... we already have pci 3.0 usb 3.0 and thunderbolt on some mother boards...we really dont need that cpu for that price.[/citation]
Intel isn't trying to sell Haswell to someone who already owns Ivy. Think of it like the auto-industry: each generation of Ford needs to be competitive to Toyota and Chevrolet in order to sell, but in no way can you perceive it a failure if Ford doesn't sell 2013 vehicles to everyone who bought a 2012 vehicle.

nolarrow

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Yeah, its about converting people from core2duos and quads. I bit the bullet and went with an i5 3570k recently from my q6600. If this chip was out I would have gone with something from that generation. No one should dump their i5/i7 2011+ for one of these unless you really need to.

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]It's been a long time since I have seen any reason to upgrade your processor. Anyone with a 2500k or above is quite confortable already.[/citation]
Enthusiasts and gamers aside, most people would still be perfectly fine with a Core2Duo. While my i5-3470 is ~2.5X as fast as my C2D-E8400 in theory, it only feels ~30% faster for most everyday use. The main reason I upgraded was that I really needed more than 8GB RAM but 16GB DDR2 cost nearly as much as i5+16GB DDR3+h77 and opens up the option of going for 32GB RAM later so sticking to my C2D made no sense.

So there are at least three factors contributing to drops in conventional PC sales:
- people do not need any more desktop processing power than they already have so they replace PCs less often
- people replacing their aging desktops with better laptops
- PCs getting knocked down people's priority list by smartphones, tablets, consoles, embedded platforms, etc. that can fulfill many of PCs' and laptops' traditional roles either by themselves or when combined with adequate accessories such as bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
The biggest improvements and by that reasons to upgrade to a processor above the Core series are:
- support for recently added hardware instructions (can make a huge speedup in some situations)
- power savings for same or better computational power

For me the power savings look interesting (quad core with base clock of 3.5GHz with 65W DTP)

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Although I'm always intrigued by advances in performance, I think Intel is right on the money with Haswell and their focus on power reduction. The public doesn't isn't currently complaining that their Facebook-accessing-device is too slow. But, of course, battery life does affect them! If they want to sell more products, significant advances in battery will have more public appeal than significant advances in performance. (At least until consumer software takes the next leap forward in how many resources it requires.)

[citation][nom]dominatorix[/nom]...but they change it the platform!! from socket 1155 to socket 1150!![/citation]

Well, you are right! That got past me in my post-lunch slumber =)

Just can't trust Intel to keep a platform long enough for us to consider a CPU-only upgrade.

[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]It's been a long time since I have seen any reason to upgrade your processor. Anyone with a 2500k or above is quite confortable already. This may be a great CPU, but will not be a game changer. At least Intel is being reasonable in not changing the socket platform. It would be very hard to justify a motherboard+CPU upgrade with no major improvement.[/citation]

Intel is changing the socket.

[citation][nom]mt2e[/nom]2700k here, have not seen any reason to upgrade to Ivy or even Haswell, a what 10% performance jump each generation and no other real noticable upsides.[/citation]
10% increase was bigger than I was expecting. IB was only a 7% increase over SB, so a 10% boost is at least noteable.

But then again, I am with you. I will be rocking my 2600 for a good long while yet. The issue is not one of if Intel could push more performance out of their newer chips... there is just very little that I do that sustains an appreciable load on my current processor. When I can play games at well under 50% load, why would I even think about upgrading? In a few years when next gen games start pushing hardware again then I will consider upgrading, but for now the only think I am hoping to upgrade in my system is a GPU with more onboard ram (but even my GPU performance is adequate, it is just some games like Skyrim that just eat all of the GDDR which then causes issues).

Intel can call me back when they have true 8 core CPUs for under $350, and things like DDR4 and SATA4 are available.

hannibal

Distinguished
You allso noticed that the price goes up at least the same amount than the speed goes up... Hmmm... what else to expect in monopoly area... But very good chip for mobile devices though!

xcr

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
@haiderjee325 - Avoid his links or if not well enough protected you might get bitten by something quite nasty. Luckily I have a few things from preventing such things. Just be warned it's ridden with a virus and malware.

I normally upgrade every two to three years with a new chipset. It's within time to replace my 2 year old 2500K running at 4.8GHz, which is only used for gaming. Like others have said, I see no reason to upgrade to Haswell, the 4670K which will be the i5 replacement, based on the i7 version performance. The IB tick of course was not worth it. For the first time I'm not looking forward to a complete new chipset upgrade, but another part of me is happy that money will be saved and can be put to better use with GPU or SSD upgrades. Now the vigil for Skylake begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.