Intel Core i7-875K And Core i5-655K Battle Beyond 4 GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Known2Bone

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
wow now that is some serious over-clocking... and here i am trying to push my 955 up past 3.93. i would have liked to see some liquid cooling tossed in to spice things up and maybe one more 5970... great job Chris!

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Intel did release the E6500K for the LGA 775, but only in Asia.

The only good thing here is that these chips will probably ship with heat sinks that don't suck and a good price drop for the i7 870. Otherwise, who cares, FSB stability on decent P55 boards has not been a problem. What the socket really needs from Intel is a better chip-set, not easier overclockers.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
9. All prize winners are responsible for taxes and other surcharges on the prizes they win.

1099'd for $1499? I hate how contest prizes all have full MSRP on everything. Even if you win it end up costing you $500+ in taxes.

SpadeM

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Intel makes good cpus, that's a given. Their problem lies in the pricing of such chips. I mean if you could buy a processor because you want to overclock it then the locked but cheaper one is as good as the unlocked one. Sure, it's more difficult, but I for one love a challenge.

Also, as a side note, I do have a problem with the benchmarks and more accurately with the conclusion you extracted from them. Who in their right mind would buy a processor, overclock it, and then do iTunes all day ... I mean come on, there's more to life then music ripping. What I'm saying is that the benchmark section SHOULD be remade entirely. Same old tests, that I could anticipate the outcome of every time, isn't a very compelling way to make a point. I do appreciate the game section though, at least i saw a new title.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Finally, very good news for serious desktop processing power that wont leave me with an empty wallet. The 875K is going to be my next CPU for 3D modeling and rendering. I hope it will keep me entertained for a while =)

Don't get me wrong but I was getting bored with the tiny world of ARM and Tegra and on the other side of the spectrum the hexacores and dual Xeons were far and away for my budget.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]sarsoft[/nom]LGA 1366 i7 hopefully will be available soon. GRRRRRRRRR........[/citation]
On Xtremesystems.org, I just read about a guy reaching 4.644GHz on air with his i7 930. Granted, he has a great chip, but by no means is a unlocked multiplier needed for high overclocks.

If I were to build a new PC, the 1090T/1055T would be very complelling.

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
1055t at 4Ghz here!!

For only 200bucks I got my 1055t to 4Ghz!!
1.445v 32c Idle, ~53c Load

My ~$1000 rig...maybe a little more.

1055t AMD Phenom II X6 @ 4Ghz (287*14) w/turbo OFF!!
gotta turn of to get max oc!)
4Gb G.Skill DDR3 2000Mhz (Tom's Best ot the Best sku# :)
ASUS PRO 890GX USB 3/Sata II
XFX ATI RADEON 5770 1 Gb DDR5
60Gb Vertex Sata II SSD
2x WD Caviar Black 640Gb
CoolerMaster 212 Plus
NXZT Lexa Case with 5*120mm w/fan controller
Corsair TX650w PSU

Extras

Klipsch THX 2.1
Samsung 46' 1080p HDMI HDTV
HP 23' 1080p HDMI EYEFINITY 3x MONITORS
Samsung 1440*900 DVI
MS Natural Keyboard
Logitech invisible optical wirless mouse
320Gb Ext Backup Segate USB 2.0

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Maybe I got a lucky chip...these things can go either way, but this thing got to 4Ghz with no more effort than a few bios settings and a $30 heat sink. It could get to 4.2Ghz or higher with another nudge..NO PROBLEM...

Either way :) :) :) :)

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]SpadeM[/nom]Intel makes good cpus, that's a given. Their problem lies in the pricing of such chips. I mean if you could buy a processor because you want to overclock it then the locked but cheaper one is as good as the unlocked one. Sure, it's more difficult, but I for one love a challenge. Also, as a side note, I do have a problem with the benchmarks and more accurately with the conclusion you extracted from them. Who in their right mind would buy a processor, overclock it, and then do iTunes all day ... I mean come on, there's more to life then music ripping. What I'm saying is that the benchmark section SHOULD be remade entirely. Same old tests, that I could anticipate the outcome of every time, isn't a very compelling way to make a point. I do appreciate the game section though, at least i saw a new title.[/citation]

Throw some suggestions out there! I'm always watching the comments for feedback :) iTunes is but one element of the tests, and to be fair, it's a nice change of pace from all of the threaded transcoding apps that demonstrate the same thing, for the most part ;-)

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Wonder why 875K is not a 32nm upgrade, we could see some serious overclocking at low power consumption.Still waiting for affordable (for me)pure processors without graphics with 4/8 cores on 32nm.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]dirtmountain[/nom]Any word on the general availability of these CPUs?[/citation]

These are going to hit after Computex. This was really supposed to be a preview :)

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]jecastej[/nom]Finally, very good news for serious desktop processing power that wont leave me with an empty wallet. The 875K is going to be my next CPU for 3D modeling and rendering. I hope it will keep me entertained for a while =)Don't get me wrong but I was getting bored with the tiny world of ARM and Tegra and on the other side of the spectrum the hexacores and dual Xeons were far and away for my budget.[/citation]
lol the bulldozer will kill the intel line finally maybe

masterofevil22

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]lashton[/nom]lol the bulldozer will kill the intel line finally maybe[/citation]
Honestly, if I were you..I'd buy the true 6core AMD 1055T and spend the extra $150 on a nice 60Gb SSD Sata II drive....just saying, it's faster at 4ghz for what you're doing anyway AND an SSD is almost like having your first X amount of Gb's in RAM..constantly.

Either way you go you'll have to buy an after market cooler to achieve 4Ghz+. But that SSD will make a bigger difference in your day to day stuff than any difference in clock you may achieve with the i7.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Yeah, this was nothing more than marketing. Every single current gen Intel chip is a capable overclocker. People have been pushing 4+ on i7s for a year now and the 860 is so easy to get to 4 it's laughable. I fail to see how having unlocked multipliers helps at all. 860 maxed at 21, 870 22. So you increase the multiplier, but guess what, now you have to lower the BCLK in order to compensate, which reduces the speed of everything. 191x21 Has always been the sweet spot on both the 860 and 920. Even Multipliers = Fail regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.