News Intel Core Ultra 7 155H Underwhelms in PassMark Database Appearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Six percent is not something we would get excited about in any regular-gen-to-gen upgrade. Remember, Pat Gelsinger has teased us by saying that Meteor Lake will be our next “Centrino Moment.”
You're misremembering or misunderstanding what that quote was about.

"AI is unleashing new opportunities, and Gelsinger says it will usher in the AI PC revolution. Gelsinger says Intel's goal is to put the power of AI models into the hands of every human on the earth, likening it to the adoption of Wi-Fi after the Centrino products debuted."

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/l...eblog-meteor-lake-ai-and-a-whole-lotta-wafers

So, it was about integrating AI acceleration via the new VPU, which makes sense because Centrino was about integrating WiFi. Centrino coincided with Pentium M, which was a step-change in perf/W, and I suppose you conflated the two in your minds.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I think will be good to see the end product being independently reviewed to conclude. But from what's been leaked so far, and being so close to the release dates, Meteor Lake is starting to look more like Ice Lake than the Centrino moment. At least it is not Cannon Lake that died a silent death being the first 10nm product.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I wouldn't be too concerned over the pre-release benchmarks. For all we know it's those 2 LPE-cores causing problems.

Regardless, efficiency and graphics are looking like the strong points of Meteor Lake.
I am apprehensive about graphic performance since this is afterall, using Alchemist GPUs. Just by looking at the current performance of Alchemist based dGPU, the performance is highly inconsistent from game to game, and generally lags behind its competitors. It may or may not be related to the hardware, but just driver issues is going to be an problematic if used for games.

usertests

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
I am apprehensive about graphic performance since this is afterall, using Alchemist GPUs. Just by looking at the current performance of Alchemist based dGPU, the performance is highly inconsistent from game to game, and generally lags behind its competitors. It may or may not be related to the hardware, but just driver issues is going to be an problematic if used for games.
They have improved drivers significantly. Which is coming too late for Arc since first impression is everything for most people. However, Meteor Lake's full iGPU (128 EUs) is said to be comparable to Phoenix, so it could be enough for 1080p gaming on its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.