Intel DQ35JOE mobo F6 setup fails

rooly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Intel DQ35JOE motherboard Windows XP Pro SP2 F6 setup fails to install SATA drive in AHCI or RAID mode.
Single SATA Seagate Barracuda 11 500Gb is connected to black SATA 0 connector. DVD drive to SATA 1.
Memory 2 Gb. Intel E6550 CPU

I use external USB floppy drive to install SATA drivers.

Proposed selection from floppy is following, with no. 2 active:

1. Intel ICH9 SATA AHCI controller (Desktop ICH9R)
2. Intel 8201HEM SATA RAID Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E)
3. Intel 8201HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E/M)

Mobo manual states "Intel 82801IDO I/O Controller Hub (ICH9DO)"
But I guess the driver is the same for all 3 but buy now I have tried all 3 without success.
After driver loading has finished and Starting Windows text appears, there is instead a blue screen with 0x0000007b. error.

When IDE set to Native mode, I tried both - The RAID and AHCI.
Changed HDD from Seagate Barracuda to Samsung HD160HJ, no help.

Finally for testing purpose installed a standard IDE and it works.

Have I missed something or is the mobo invalid?

htpcgb

Distinguished
May 27, 2006
From what I've read, Intel rushed to get this motherboard into production. I'd recommend updating the board to the latest BIOS available before continuing.

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Hello rooly:
I don't have the same Intel motherboard but on my DG965WH board it says in the bios that AHCI is only supported with Vista O.S. I'm guessing that might be the case with your board also. If you want to install the Intel RAID drivers you would need to select RAID in the bios to use the F6 drivers. If you only want SATA drivers, they may be built into XP.......not positive but I think so. If you select IDE in the bios doesn't it offer the option to configure as SATA? If so, select that and then try installing the ICH9R F6 drivers. It should also be possible to set up your system as "RAID READY" with only 1 drive. It will then be possible to later add a second drive and re-configure as RAID. The Seagate drive you have should be fine for RAID. Also, here is a link that may be useful:

"USB Floppy Drive Does Not Work to Install Mass Storage Drivers
This issue may occur if the USB floppy disk drive is not supported for use during Windows XP installation. For more information, refer to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/916196/." Good luck!

newnerd

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Hello again rooly:
The link I posted doesn't work right. Here is the correct url:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/916196/

newnerd

rooly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Actually a good idea, how can one be so blue eyed about Intel!
Same was 2 years ago...
Now there appeared 4 chips ... I picked 1st and her we go!

1. Intel ICH9 SATA AHCI controller (Desktop ICH9R)
2. Intel 8201HEM SATA RAID Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E)
3. Intel 8201HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E/M)
4. Intel ICH8R/ICH9R SATA RAID controller

rooly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Oh sorry, forgot to tell thanks! It was BIOS update!
If they rushed out mobo with SATA not working properly, it's something which goes beyond my understanding.

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Darn it! This forum doesn't seem to post my links correctly:

>http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/manual70.pdf<

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006

I think your board was designed primarily with Vista O.S. in mind. The Vista O.S. already has built in Sata and RAID support for Intel's recent boards. All you have to do with Vista is go into bios and select your preferred mass storage system (IDE, RAID, ACHI) and install Vista.

newnerd

rooly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Damned or holy s**** now it loads drivers from Floppy a: and I can create a partiton and then again is required drive a: and the drive has gone!
On the blue screen is XP Professional Setup
Insert disk labeled:
Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver
into drive a:
press enter when ready

But when pressing enter it doesn't even try to access external USB a: drive anymore! (it still accesses on the beginning after F6 but not second time after formatting C:)
Apparently a BIOS bug again!

rooly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I don't like Vista. It eats up resources without giving anything in return to me. Or am I wrong?
Everything what runs on XP flawlessly roams on Vista or crashes.

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006

I have one XP and two Vista pcs. The XP pc is more stable but with the right hardware Vista works well. But it takes much more expensive hardware for best results. Vista still has bugs but it will be the only choice sooner or later and I wanted to learn how to use it. I like many features, dislike some. The full potential of Vista still hasn't been realized by the hardware and software on the market currently.

newnerd

rooly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I created one partition partition C: 50 GB on 500 GB disk. Looks like after it the drive a: has lost until I switch PC on/off. I'm not sure but looks like simple reset isn't enough to get a: back. I don't know if there is any settings in the BIOS, which leaves USB A: unstable.

rooly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I'm still doubtful about Vista's success. I'm not aware of anything what Vista does better then XP. It looks like Vista owns it's most modest support only to it's cool outlook.

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
I suggest you start over with the XP install. Did your board come with a sheet of paper with instructions about setting up RAID? Mine did and it specified the bios settings to use for the RAID installation. After you load the F6 drivers and get to the screen to partition your drive, be sure to format the partition you created before going on with the install.

rooly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Yes I did everything as usually. Except XP install sees my external USB drive as a: only until I format C: then install askes floppy once gain and this 2nd time drive isn't available anymore.
But it seems to me that this mobo isn't for XP at all. Even when I can get over this problem there appear new ones. Probably I must go back to 965 chipset.

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006

One of the useful improvements to Vista is that it will allow PC manufacturers to use HD TV tuners with cable cards to allow the user to view and stream HD tv from the PC to the television which is currently not possible and the vast majority of tv comes via cable or satelite. In a little over a year that will become very important with the advent of all digital tv content. Sadly it will only be available from the manufacturers and not as an upgrade to current pcs. Without that capability the use of the pc as a media server would become obsolete.

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006

Did you check that link to see if your USB floppy drive is one of the very few with built-in support in the XP O.S.?

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
The floppy drive will work with limited functions with the board's bios but then when XP drivers are needed to use the floppy drive to copy the RAID/SATA drivers to XP O.S. it will malfunction when the drive starts trying to use the xp drivers if it's not supported.

rooly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Most floppy drives in ourdays don't read where and what they are, except that made in Taiwan or China. But as it is bootable and setup F6 finds it once, I suggest it's the right one.
But now when drive C: has been already created, I wonder why a: isn't found 2nd time.
I'm even not sure if it's normal that A: is accessed twice.

Downloaded latest Raid drivers now and created a new floppy but now help, disk is required ton access twice and second time not accesible.

newnerd

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Well.......the USB floppy drive works when it isn't using XP drivers and doesn't work when it HAS to use XP drivers.......I have a sinking feeling it's isn't natively supported by XP until later drivers in one of the Windows service packs or from a manufacturer's XP driver download. Trouble is, the service pack drivers aren't available during the installation. I think they are on the 2nd cd with XP. If you don't have the box the USB floppy came in the only way to tell is to look at the specifications on the drive itself.

newnerd

mcjonny

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
I had this issue with an Advent 9915w laptop today.

To get XP installed, simply go to the bios, and disable AHCI. Or set it to something like use IDE or compatible mode.

You can then install XP (SP1 or higher for the SATA drivers) without a problem.

Once installed, you can force the Intel ICH8M Ultra ATA 2850 drivers in via device manager, then reboot and put the bios back to AHCI mode.

Also install the Intel Matrix Manager drivers as a precaution, otherwise you may have to re-install all over again just to find the solution.

Hope this works for you, took me hours, and cost a client lots!

Jon Cooper

TRENDING THREADS