Intel has a clincher to get you to buy an SSD

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
There are no details yet but Intel has announced that tomorrow they're going to release some apparently big news to encourage you to buy an SSD. Cheaper prices? Huge capacities? Faster drives?

I can only imagine that price/capacity has something to do with it as that is the only thing keeping me, and many others I'm sure, from jumping into the SSD boat.

What do you think the big news will be?

I have absolutely no idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if they announce a price reduction on their G2 drives to clear out the old stock prior to introducing their next generation drives. Intel's yearly product release cycle has left their G2 drives a little behind the times, and it may be that their sales have been dropping as the other vendors release newer products.

I was a little surprised when I checked my local computer store the other day and saw that their price for the 160GB G2 drive is still exactly the same as it was 8 months ago when I bought mine.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008

That would be good news. If it were that it would have to be tied to their next gen drives which hopefully would benefit from the additional bandwidth that SATAIII provides.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008

It could be announcements to that effect although their next gen drives were expected to be released in a few months yet... Nov. - Dec. I had heard. Perhaps they're way ahead of schedule.

elivance

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah, I thought it was several months away also, but I'm just hopeful. I've been holding off on buying a C300 just because I want to see some competitors' SATA III drives before I choose one.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008

I did see the ubisoft promotion, for those who haven't seen it you can check it out here What it is: you get to download a free game with the purchase of one of a few select Intel SSD's.

That came out yesterday though so I'm really hoping that isn't the BIG news. I haven't heard anything else from them yet so lets just hope they'll release the info later.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
There has still been no new word. I'm afraid it may in fact have been the Ubisoft promotion that they were referring to. I'll wait one more day to see if there is anything else.

I'll be (and already am) disappointed in this nearly feeble attempt to win over more people to buying an SSD. The Vertex2 sale at newegg is better than this IMHO. Well, I'll just keep my fingers crossed and wait another day.

abswindows7

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
What is they bundle a free hard drive to compensate the low storage ?

Or what if they finally release trim support for raid arrays ?

Or what if they simply cut the price down ? After all, they have no more the "best" ssd's on the market...

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
They haven't broken any other news. So I guess they think that a free game is enough to get people to buy a second-rate Intel SSD. Not only enough to pass up the better performing sandforce drives but enough to get people that still find the cost to much to bear. They must be crazy.