Question Intel i5-9600K or AMD Ryzen 5 3600?

Oct 26, 2019
Hi all,

As titles mentioned, what do people think - Intel i5-9600K with a Z390 motherboard or AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with the X570?

I'm looking for a mid range, future proofed build. Casual gaming and browsing etc, not planning to stream, overclock and all that.

Thanks!

Oct 26, 2019
Thanks for that guys, had good points there.
Now, I'm wondering for the GPU, does my CPU type (AMD/Intel) dictate which GPU(Nvidia/AMD) I get? ie. would an AMD gpu work better with an AMD cpu? or would the RTX work just as well? I guess what I'm trying to say here is I think we've established the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 is probably better than the i5-9600K, so should I go for the AMD equivalent GPU or stick with the RTX2060 super I had in mind?

WildCard999

Titan
Now, I'm wondering for the GPU, does my CPU type (AMD/Intel) dictate which GPU(Nvidia/AMD) I get? ie. would an AMD gpu work better with an AMD cpu? or would the RTX work just as well? I guess what I'm trying to say here is I think we've established the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 is probably better than the i5-9600K, so should I go for the AMD equivalent GPU or stick with the RTX2060 super I had in mind?
No, you don't get better performance by pairing a AMD with a AMD or Intel with Nvidia. If you want the 2060 Super then that would be perfectly fine to pair with the 3600.

With the 2060S I'd probably pair it with a 1440P monitor.

Reactions: R3indeer

Vana Ivan Pandovski

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
Go for the 3600, 6 cores 12threads, overclockable up to 4.3GHz very good CPU. If you want to game and stream 3600 is way better, the 9600k will give you just maybe 5-9% better frame rate in some titles but that's it, but the 3600 will give you even frame rate across much more titles, because of 2 threads per core, and the 3gen Ryzen now is very very good, and they are good from many more Intel CPUs in IPS ,you will have much smoother 0.1% and 1% framerates and overall experience and with Ryzen you can achieve and get very faster memory kits/speeds.

Vana Ivan Pandovski

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2014
Go for the 3600, 6 cores 12threads, overclockable up to 4.3GHz very good CPU. If you want to game and stream 3600 is way better, the 9600k will give you just maybe 5-9% better frame rate in some titles but that's it, but the 3600 will give you even frame rate across much more titles, because of 2 threads per core, and the 3gen Ryzen now is very very good, and they are good from many more Intel CPUs in IPS ,you will have much smoother 0.1% and 1% framerates and overall expirience and with Ryzen you can achieve and get very faster memory kits/s[[

Oct 26, 2019
Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it! Looks like the 3600 it is.
Should I bother with the 3600X, is it worth the extra? Also, do you have any motherboards to recommend? The X570 perhaps?

The 3600x comes with a better cooler and is clocked slightly higher. Multiple reviewers have stated it is not worth the extra money over the 3600.

The best motherboards depend on your budget.

If the budget is low, an MSI B450 max motherboard will work out of the box.

If the budget is higher, i would go for an ASRock x570 phantom gaming 4 is a decent but lower end x570 board.

The max id spend on a board for a 3600 would be the gigabyte x570 aorus elite. Very good power delivery.

Avoid cheap MSI x570. Very poor power delivery and the cheaper asrock is better.

I consider 6c/6t CPUs even in overclockable 9600K guise, to be not worthy of consideration, as there are way too many complaints of stutter in gaming, albeit usually when chasing high FPS for 144 Hz/high refresh rate monitors...; Ryzen 2600/2700 might fall behind in average FPS is many games, but, the 12 or 16 threads come in quite handy to avoid major dips in FPS in the .1/1% lows scenarios...

With the onset of Ryzen 3600 into the market last quarter, it and the 9700K are the only two main logical choices for gaming rigs... (in my opinion) (The latter has an advantage when chasing the very highest FPS when given a 2080/2080Ti)

Oct 26, 2019
The 3600x comes with a better cooler and is clocked slightly higher. Multiple reviewers have stated it is not worth the extra money over the 3600.

The best motherboards depend on your budget.

If the budget is low, an MSI B450 max motherboard will work out of the box.

If the budget is higher, i would go for an ASRock x570 phantom gaming 4 is a decent but lower end x570 board.

The max id spend on a board for a 3600 would be the gigabyte x570 aorus elite. Very good power delivery.

Avoid cheap MSI x570. Very poor power delivery and the cheaper asrock is better.

Thanks for that.

Is the stock cooler that comes with the 3600 any good? Would I need to get another, eg: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO?

Looking at this motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard. Thoughts?

Reactions: RodroX
The stock cooler with the Ryzen 5 3600 will keep the CPU at safe temperatures under load, however, you may want to consider an upgrade.

Although the cooler keeps the CPU at safe temperatures, they are on the higher end in the low 80c range. The fan will also be trying its hardest to keep temperatures under control, so the cooler will be loud. I had the same cooler on my old overclocked Ryzen 3 1200 and the cooler was noisy under load.

A Hyper 212 would indeed make the CPU run cooler and quieter. It also may give you a little more overclocking head room.

Thanks for that.

Is the stock cooler that comes with the 3600 any good? Would I need to get another, eg: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO?

Looking at this motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard. Thoughts?

If you go with the EVO, make sure it has the right AM4 CPU bracket, the old ones don't usually come with it, but you can still get it from cooler master. The new ones like 212 Black do come with them (https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-air-coolers/hyper-212-black-edition/#Specifications).
You also got this other alternative which seems to perform better: https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/freezer-34-esports-duo.html (it comes in a few colors). Heres the review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-cooler,6352-2.html

According to many reviews I read and see, the ASUS TUF X570 is one of the best overall X570 mobos out there. Good price, good extras, and good VRM, here are two fo them:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0vmGHbwx1M

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMRUhtMs9Ok

If you want to skip the video heres the writen version: https://www.techspot.com/bestof/amd-x570-motherboards/

Last edited:

vultusprime

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Thanks for that.

The stock cooler is not "very nice" at all. Some people report temps in the high 80s or even early 90s at full load. If you watch youtube testing videos, they run the 3600 with a god CPU air cooler like the nuctua or even water cooling.
The chip runs hot, get a different cooler.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

As @WildCard999 pointed out, you don't have to match CPU to GPU in terms of brand.

However, to make the right choice for GPU, it's good if we know the answers to the following questions:
  • What is your monitor's resolution?
  • What is your monitor's refresh rate?
  • Does the monitor have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?
    • If FreeSync, what is the FreeSync range?
If you're missing any of that info, knowing the model's exact brand and model number will help.

Oct 26, 2019
@King_V I'd be getting a new monitor to go with the PC, probably a 144hz or so, freesync/GSync depends on the GPU.

I'll definitely be getting the AMD then haha, based on the overwhelming love for it. But is the Ryzen 5 3600X worth the extra dosh over the Ryzen 5 3600?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
@King_V I'd be getting a new monitor to go with the PC, probably a 144hz or so, freesync/GSync depends on the GPU.

Avoid GSync. Get a FreeSync monitor. Nvidia has finally faced reality, and all their 10-, 16-, and 20- series GPUs support FreeSync now.

What resolution at 144Hz are you looking toward? I believe that the decision on the GPU and Monitor are inextricably tied together.

I was thinking the 3600X might be worth it to mitigate against getting the worst grade silicon 3600 from the wafer which requires 1.5v to run stable.

Say what?, My Ryzen 5 3600 never reached 1.5volts, ever (not even the first week). In all this time since launch, I did all kinds of test: Gaming Benchmark, Cinbench R15, R20 (all core and single core) Prime 95, Aida 64, I never hit higher than 1.45 (And that was on single core and with PBO enable and old BIOS and Drivers).

Right now I have PBO disable and my CPU still get to 4.2GHz (advertised speed) on one core and it only takes like 1.375volts top.
All core frecuency under load (Cinbench R20 for example) is around ~4042MHz for all 6 cores (12 threads)

Theres been lots of BIOS and Drivers updates so things got a lot better since day one (launch day 7/Jul)

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
Say what?, My Ryzen 5 3600 never reached 1.5volts, ever (not even the first week). In all this time since launch, I did all kinds of test: Gaming Benchmark, Cinbench R15, R20 (all core and single core) Prime 95, Aida 64, I never hit higher than 1.45 (And that was on single core and with PBO enable and old BIOS and Drivers).

Right now I have PBO disable and my CPU still get to 4.2GHz (advertised speed) on one core and it only takes like 1.375volts top.
All core frecuency under load (Cinbench R20 for example) is around ~4042MHz for all 6 cores (12 threads)

Theres been lots of BIOS and Drivers updates so things got a lot better since day one (launch day 7/Jul)
Thats good. You may have misunderstood what I meant though. I wasn't claiming all 3600s would hit 1.5v. I've seen a few posts of ones that do though. I'm assuming not all chips are exactly the same. Perhaps I'm wrong and they are all exactly the same and will all require exactly the same voltage to hit exactly the same clock speed. But I think not.

It's kind of hard to prove without buying a thousand chips, testing them all and seeing how many need higher voltage to run stable.

Last edited: